1

Before I start, I just want to say that this book does deal with issues eg. selective mutism. So if this is a sensitive or uncomfortable topic for you to read about, please skip.

<Kaycee POV>

'K, are you coming?' I heard Chloe call as she stood outside my bedroom. I jumped out of bed as I quickly opened my door. 'You coming?' Chloe asked again. I nodded my head meekly, smiling at her before I quickly got ready to get dressed.

'Ooh, you look beautiful K' Chloe said in awe as I walked out wearing a floral romper and sandals. I gave her a small smile before carrying my books and bag. We were on our way to the library, one of the most enjoyable places ever, atleast in my opinion. But it's not because it was filled with books or because it was free.

The reason why I loved library's so much is because it's a quiet place. You have to be quiet, and if you're not you automatically receive dirty looks. That's why I love being at a library, because I can be myself. No one else can question me on why I'm not talking, like the rest. They'll just assume it's because I want to read in peace and respect the library laws. 

But the truth is, I was diagnosed with selective mutism when I was 6. And now I'm 19 and I'm still living with it, so far with no sign of getting better. I've been going to therapy classes but nothing seems to work. I just can't do it. I can't talk. I want to be a dancer, go to classes, compete at competitions and join in dance events. But I can't, not when I'm like this, not ever. Besides it's just a dream, a dream that probably would never come true.

'Hey K. Let's go pick some new books.' Chloe suggested as she placed her books and bag down on a table beside mine. Chloe and I have been friends ever since we've been in diapers. She's the only one who knows me, the real me. She's the only one who understands me. She never pressures me and she continues to stick by me. But even then, I just can't. I'm too weak. Too weak to say 'yes' 'no' 'hi' 'bye' to her.

I nodded my head at Chloe before proceeding to walk down the historical book aisle. I chose a few books, placing them in the crook of my elbow before I felt myself hit the ground with a thud. I heard a growl following my fall, as a young man gave me a dirty look.

<Sean POV>

'Come on, dude. Let's go' Julian groaned pulling my arm. 'You can't just sit here all day, getting drunk over a girl'

'I can too. You're not the boss of me' I bit back shaking my head with frustration, drowning my worries with a new bottle of vodka. 2 months. The worst 2 months of my life. I fell in love, I thought she was the one. But I guess nothing good ever lasts because after 3 years of dating her I found out that she was cheating on me. Cheating on me with a good for nothing asshole. I've been in a dark hole ever since, constantly blaming myself for our fall out.

Julian's the only one who consistently tries to help me. He invites me to all sorts of parties, dance events, social gatherings. He even tried to get me on tinder to find a new girlfriend once. As furious as I may be at him, I can't lose him. He's all I got now. Sarah and Serris moved to different states for their jobs while Mama and Papa moved back to China after hearing that I was getting myself drunk every night. 

'Please, Sean. I'm trying to help you here' Julian begged grabbing the bottle out of my hands.

'Then get away from me' I growled, feeling the effects of vodka kicking in. 

'Shut the hell up. I'm trying to help you, Sean, and I know that you know that. You haven't been going to dance or socializing. I'm worried about you, so please just listen to me and come' Julian urged as panic flashed through his eyes as he looked at the state of me.