Chapter 4: Escape From Cybertron

The Hydrax Plateau spaceport, the only spaceport on Cybertron, was full of Autobots rushing to flee their doomed planet. It was dark except for the lights of the ships as they departed. This same scene had occurred eons ago during the first war. But this time, they may never again be able to return. In a hangar hidden from all but a select few of Optimus Prime's most trusted allies lay a massive ship. It was gold in color and had room for almost the best of the Autobot force within it. It was known as The Ark II. It was built eons ago but was never flown and is identical to The Ark the Autobots used to leave Cybertron during the first civil war. Like the hangar, most had no idea it existed. As the rest of the team entered the hangar, they could see Wheeljack and Bulkhead preparing it for launch. In the hangar was also the largest Space Bridge ever built. That was a newer addition. Upon entering, Ratchet went over to the control panel to set it to random coordinates somewhere in the galaxy.

Ratchet: "Are you sure this is going to work Optimus?"

Optimus: "The Ark is the strongest ship ever built in the history of Cybertron. It and the original Ark were created by Alpha Trion himself specifically to guard whatever life is within it. Wherever we send it, it will be absolutely safe. As will the AllSpark."

Arcee: "Will anyone go with it?"
Smokescreen: "It would be a bad idea for any of us to go with it. We need to stick together."

Optimus: "Smokescreen is correct. We are stronger together than we are apart. One day we will find the ship and secure the AllSpark, but until then it is unwise for anyone to know where it is. Ratchet, how long until the Space Bridge is prepared?"

Ratchet: "It will be ready momentarily"

Optimus: "Bulkhead, is The Ark ready?"
Bulkhead: "It is fully operational and ready to go. Hurry and get the AllSpark inside."

Optimus quickly secured the AllSpark deep within The Ark. Ratchet opened the Space Bridge and the ship was set to autopilot through the portal. The engines roared and the ship disappeared, not likely to be seen again for a long time.

Arcee: "Optimus, we've got company. The Decepticons are attacking the spaceport. We have to get out of here before they find us. But how are we going to get off the planet?"

Wheeljack: "I sure hope they didn't just hear The Ark leave"

Optimus: "We must use the Space Bridge. But first, I want to speak to Megatron."

***

Much of the spaceport lay in ruin. The Decepticons had destroyed it and any Autobot left they could get their hands on. Megatron was looking over the devastation when suddenly a screen opened up nearby with Optimus on it.

Optimus: "You have failed to take control of Cybertron Megatron. Our world no longer has the power needed to support life. Surrender now peacefully and end this needless conflict"

Megatron: "Wishful thinking Optimus. But I will never surrender. If I can't have Cybertron, I'll just take over another planet. I know you sabotaged the tower. I lost many troops when it was destroyed. And I know you are somehow behind this loss of power. When I find you, I will rip you apart. Until then, I am going to destroy your other home, Earth."

Optimus: "Do not harm the humans! They have as much right to live as we do. They must choose their own fate."

Megatron: "I'm afraid you won't be able to stop me. Once I remove the Nemesis from wherever you have hidden it, Earth will be mine. I am going to cyberform it and the humans will be my slaves."

Optimus: "That's what you think Megatron. But I've stopped you before and I will do it again."

The screen disappeared. Megatron growled in frustration and ordered the Decepticons to find Optimus. Little did he know Optimus had just figured out where to go and that he would be off of Cybertron before he could even find him.

***

In the hangar that once contained The Ark, Team Prime was preparing to head to Earth. Ratchet was programming the Space Bridge while the other Autobots strategized.

Smokescreen: "If we go through the portal and then leave it as is, the Decepticons will be able to figure out where we went, and where The Ark went."

Optimus: "So we must come up with a way to destroy the Space Bridge."

Ratchet: "I can rig it to self destruct."

Optimus: "That would take far too long. We don't have much time."

Smokescreen: "I'll stay behind. If Wheeljack leaves me some of his bombs, I will detonate them and then take down as many Decepticons as I can."

Ultra Magnus: "You are far too important to the team to do that. I'll stay. With one hand I'm not as useful as I once was."

Smokescreen: "No way. You are stronger than I am. They need you."

Bulkhead: "Are you crazy? We need as many Autobots as we can. And staying here is certain death."

Smokescreen: "This is the best way. You were fine on Earth for years without me."

Ultra Magnus: "The same can be said for me, so we will both stay. We are stronger together and will have more success in slowing down the Decepticons."

Arcee: "Have you two lost your minds? Earth needs you! We need you!"

Optimus: "Arcee, their minds have been made up and we will not be able to change them. Ultra Magnus and Smokescreen, should you not make it out of this, your sacrifice will always be remembered. As long as our sparks remain, yours will live on. Your legacy will be forever etched into the cosmos. This is your decision and I will honor it. If you do make it off of Cybertron, find a way to get to Earth. Wheeljack, give some of your bombs to them."

Optimus then walked away. The Autobots said their goodbyes to Smokescreen and Ultra Magnus. The Space Bridge was locked onto Earth and roared to life. Optimus and the others disappeared through it and the portal closed.

Ultra Magnus: "Let's do this."

The hangar that for eons contained The Ark II was destroyed. Many Decepticons went into the rumble. Not all of them came out. But Smokescreen and Ultra Magnus didn't leave either.