Chapter 17

Rows POV:

The warning bells startled me awake as I leapt out of bed running to my window in search of finding the cause. Outside the knights and sentries of Camelot were hastily running and patrolling the courtyard. Loud footsteps sounded down my hall and without any doubts I sped towards my door bolting it shut and put whatever furniture I could carry in front of it.

I did not know if those steps were Camelot guards or the intruders, but I sat in my bed hugging my knees together hands trembling. It was going to be ok; it was all going to be fine I kept repeating until a loud thud came from my door causing a squeal to escape my lips. Another thud and then a voice "It's just me Row are you ok?" the door handle twisted but obviously due to my makeshift barricade refused. "One second!" I shouted back while removing whatever I had used.

Arthur then burst through the door's eyes scanning the room checking everything was in place. "I thought you were an intruder Arthur don't scare me like that." He nodded taking my hands in his. "I'm sorry, I came as quickly as I could, I wanted to make sure you were alright." I nodded. It was then I realised I was only in my nightdress and quickly darted to my closet in search of a night gown and proved successful.

He looked exhausted, the dark circles under his eyes visible. "We still have yet to find the intruders but whatever you do keep this door shut and put your lovely makeshift barricade up. They are apparently using knights armour, so I don't want you opening this door to anyone except myself, Gwen... and I suppose Merlin". I nodded and kissed his cheek. "Stay safe". The smile that formed was contagious "I will, just for you." I giggled and with that he left to carry on with his duties once again. Quickly I followed what he had said.

Those blasted bells carried on for the duration of the night and well into the morning. The brightening sky was my way of watching time slowly pass by. I had decided to sit by my window the entirety of the night with my bed sheets wrapped around me as I watched the busy guards and knights patrolling. How had these people managed to get Camelot knight uniforms? Where were they hiding?

Gwen had not arrived today, and I could tell they were keeping everyone inside the castle as well as not letting anyone else enter. So I decided to get out of my nightdress at whatever late hour it was and picked out a simple pattern dress in a light shade of blue with flowers stitched onto the bodice i then braided my hair and let it fall down my back.

There was not much to do really during the day, I could not go for my usual walk so wandering over to my bookshelf my hand fell on the book I picked up once and completely forgot to carry on with. Well when was there a better time than now to get engrossed with a story.

I didn't even here the knock on the door that was how into the story I had gotten until the worried voice of Merlin called "Row? Are you alright in there?" I quickly put my bookmark in the book and put it back on the shelf. "Yes! I am quite alright, just let me move this..." within a few minutes everything was back to where it belonged, and I undid the latch on the wooden door to reveal a sleepy looking Merlin.

He was resting his body against the stone wall beside my door and quickly jumped up as if he did not want me to see something behind his back. "Arthur was wondering if you would join him for dinner?" and with that Merlin presented a bouquet of wildflowers whilst bowing. I giggled at his over exaggerated movements but took the beautiful group of flowers gladly placing them on my dressing table, I would need to get a vase and water for them later!

"I gladly accept his offer!" I called. "What time was he wanting me there?" by the time I had finished my sentence I was next to him again. "Umm" his big bright eyes looked up and his bottom lip was between his teeth as he thought. "Believe he said now!" Merlin's hand wrapped round my wrist as he quickly shut the door behind him before running with me to Arthurs room I presumed. Guards and sentries looked at us with furrowed eyebrows which caused me to laugh. No doubt it was heard throughout the entire castle! With what seemed like a few seconds we were in front of the double doors of Arthurs chambers where Merlin attempted to open it however it was done before he could reach the handle causing him to be laying in a heap on the floor. "Ow!"