Handing it Over, Our Hearts

Ri Jeong Hyuk hit the last note on the piano and allowed himself to bask in the euphoria of living his dream all over again. This feeling never gets old it seems, he thinks to himself and smiles. The music director leads a clap and approaches him at the piano. He gets up and bows towards the Music Director and the orchestra. That was the last practice in Pyongyang before his performance in Switzerland in a week's time. He rises, takes the pages of the sheet music and hands them to his secretary, exchanges some pleasantries with the Music Director before leaving.

"Your schedule has been cleared. I have picked up your travel documents and your itinerary for Switzerland is finalized. I left a detailed report on your table. Also, Director Ri is here to see you. I served him tea in your office". His secretary said as he trailed him before parting ways with him at the bend that leads to his office.

Jeong Hyuk stops at the door and takes sometime before he goes in. The last three years had seen an improvement in his relationship with his father but they were still somewhat awkward with each other. The older man, for his part, had pulled strings to make it possible for him to return to his dream; Jeong Hyuk was realistic enough to admit that it was not only his talent at work. His job as a lead pianist and solo pianist for the National Orchestra was a dream he could never have achieved without his father's help. It was testament to how far they have come in their relationship. Their family was happiest these last few years than ever after Mu Hyuk's passing.

"You're here?" His father said as he walks in. Jeong Hyuk smiles slightly to acknowledge the statement and bows towards him in greeting. Ri Father looked at peace and relaxed; the first in some time. He must have some news to have come in person, Jeong Hyuk thought. He took a seat to his father's right, asking after his mother and making small talk about his trip to Switzerland. He was to leave in three days.

After some time, Director Ri cleared his throat and set his teacup on the side table with the saucer. Here we go, Jeong Hyuk thought. "She will be there, you know that right?" He said and glanced at Jeong Hyuk to gauge his reaction.  Jeong Hyuk tried to keep a straight face but one could not miss the change in his eyes. It was obvious that 'she' in this conversation was Yoon Seri.

"According to the report I received, she has gone there every year as their representative since Queen's Group and Seri's Choice established the music students sponsorship program. You will see her on this trip." His father continued, a slight smile on his face. Jeong Hyuk's eyes grew even deeper, his thoughts all over the place. He used to be fine knowing she was safe and thriving in her world, but knowing they could meet, having knowledge of meeting her in the near future is just... it is everything to him.

"Your mother and I thought some things over. We are not getting younger, but we were young once and we can understand what it must mean to you to put your life on the line severally for that young woman." Jeong Hyuk looks up and catches his father's eyes. He always thought he resembled his mum but at this moment when he meets his father's eyes, he realized that his ability to convey all his thoughts with one look is from his father.

Jeong Hyuk looks down, ashamed as his eyes turn red. "I never apologized to you, father, for the heartache I cause you back then. Despite knowing I am your only child now, and that you are still mourning hyung, I ran head first into danger for her. I am sorry, but I am more sorry that even if it means death, means losing whatever makes me valuable, I will do it all over again. For her."

Director Ri sighed, his mother was right. One is fighting a losing battle trying to keep the two of them apart, he thought to himself as he looked at Jeong Hyuk. It seems, may be, this is the only way after all...

"I met Chairman Yoon." That statement made Jeong Hyuk look at his father. Director Ri smiled slightly. He continued, "Interesting man, he is. We have an understanding of the life we want for our children and how we will achieve it. At the end of the day, it is to limit the number of regrets we may have, is it not?" Director Ri suddenly leans forward as he says this. Jeong Hyuk looked introspective at his father's statement. He could ask for a clearer explanation of what his father meant, but it is futile, knowing the older man. If he intended to speak clearly originally, he would have.

"Your trip lasts about two weeks right?" Jeong Hyuk nods and stares at his father, glass eyed. Director Ri nods and rises to his feet. "Good. Have a safe trip." He turns to leave and Ri Jeong Hyuk rises and takes a moment to compose himself, before trailing his father to escort him.

As they step out into the sun where his father's assistant is waiting by the car, Director Ri stops and faces Jeong Hyuk. In a surprising move, he turns to his son and says with more emotion than Jeong Hyuk has heard his father speak with,
"Jeong Hyuk ah, it's okay to be happy now. I have never been more proud of you and your choices than I am right now. So be happy, OK?" Director Ri pats his shoulder and turns towards the car. After he sits, he says, "Stop by the house before you leave. Let your mother have a look at you"

"Yes, sir. I understand" Jeong Hyuk salutes his father as the car drives off; reeling from the last five minutes. His father was up to something; he thought. This is unlike any other time, this one was big and there is no middle ground for this one, it's win or lose. And it is his father, there is no guessing what he is up and even if he knows, there is a better chance stopping a high-speed train in motion than stopping his father. He can only hope all his loved ones are unscathed in the end.

Jeong Hyuk sighs and returns to his office, it has been a long week and today was only Tuesday.