Once Again, Hopefully

Seri adjusted the flap of the diaper, careful to not make it tight around the baby girl, while said baby babbled endlessly, encouraged my Seri's timely replies like they were having a conversation. She giggled and babbled some more while Seri cooed in reply; what a sight they made to Seri's assistants, who watched in awe while waiting on her.

"With how close you two are, one would think she was your daughter." Do Hye Ji said front the doorway, laughter in her voice. She looked wonderful, childbirth really made her shine, Seri thought, glancing at her with a smile before carrying the baby girl off of the changing table. "It doesn't help that she looks like me now, does it?" Seri replied gleefully. Seri and Little Jae Kyung really looked alike and got along. Seri could carry her for hours and she wouldn't make a fuss unless when hungry.

"Well, Aunty Dearest, Mom is waiting for us. If we don't leave soon, we may just be late. The guys took Jae Min with them. I doubt if this kind of event allows the hosts to be late, fashionably or not. Jae Kyung ah, come to mama so Aunty can fix herself up." Hye Ji cooed at the baby and carried her. It had come as a surprise when the doctor told Hye Ji that she was carrying twins. After their years of waiting, twins really were the answer to their prayers; being a boy and girl all the more joy.

"I'll be down shortly, just let me get dressed." Seri said, gesturing for her assistants to help her out. They were in Seri's apartment and they had converted one of the rooms to a baby room. Seri loved her niece and nephew. Besides, Do Hye Ji spent a lot of her time there while pregnant so it was only right. But truthfully, the renovation gave Seri something to do while waiting. Who knows, she had thought at the time, my kids may just use it...

"Take your time, darling. He's coming today." Hye Ji called out airily as she left with the baby.

Seri was barely holding in her joy and nervousness as she dressed up. It had be a year since they started texting and Seri finally recovered and moved on with her life while anticipating his return to her side. They chatted everyday, either about their activities for the day, what the other was eating, what changes were taking place around them. Lee Sun and Seri became closer as Lee Sun became the messenger between the two. Of course, she happily helped out because she liked the couple; also Seri gave her clothes and gift cards while Jeong Hyuk made noodles from scratch for her, so she was living fine with her "new job" 😈.

Seri's mind drifted as she took a seat at the dressing table, giving the stylist time to touch up her make up. Their fathers had been right to be cautious; they had discovered a tail on Jeong Hyuk from one of his father's political rivals cooperating with Manager Oh¹ to use him to threaten his father some five months after he came to Seoul. They were apprehended, and after that incident, the fathers were even more cautious.

Three months ago however, Chairman Yoon decided to use one of his best weapons to stabilize Jeong Hyuk's identity; the media. That required the Lee Family stepping forward to announce that their son had returned to Seoul, having recovered from a fatal accident and had accepted a position as an Associate Professor of the Classical Music Department at Seoul National University. It was to drown out all speculations about his "death" or similar reports.

Photos of Ri Jeong Hyuk and Chairman Yoon returning together from Switzerland were also released further validating their claim, as the good relationship between the two families was common knowledge. The Lee Brothers accepted an interview together to support Jeong Hyuk, discussing their career and their relationship now that their brother had returned. The boys had even been renamed "The Lee Hotties", one soft spread commenting that the degree of hotness increased the younger they were (Basically, Jeong Hyuk is the youngest and hottest).

The whole time this went on, the question of when they will meet hung in the air. It would have been odd if they suddenly appeared in publicly together and they could not meet privately because he was currently a hot topic so the media, like bloodhounds, following him about. The Lee Family hated speculations about them so Seri and Jeong Hyuk were cautious not to act out of line. A great opportunity came to them when Chairman Yoon suddenly decided to throw a Baek-il¹ Ceremony for his grandchildren. It was uncommon to throw a Baek-il Ceremony for children these days so the media just assumed it was a show of wealth. Seri, who knew her father better, was glad for the excuse he gave them to meet in public.

One can either wait for fate to happen or make fate happen. Well fate, Seri thought as she smiled to her reflection in the mirror, let's have a meeting, shall we?

********

Jeong Hyuk had started at his job at SNU and received some accolades from the other professors who appreciated a competent young man. He was able to work on some new music pieces and his students liked him. He was considering making use of the opportunity to get his doctorate as he planned to in Switzerland.

He had received a message from his dad as well. He and his mum had retired to the small village Jeong Hyuk previously lived in and the boys were so troublesome (according to dad. LOL, mum loved Eun Dong and Ju Meok). Director Ri had sent him a Swiss Bank's details and told him that he should use the money in it as a headstart. Jeong Hyuk had cried when he thought about all the times that he thought his father hated him, now he realized that he couldn't say confidently that he loved his father more than his father loved him.

The Lee Family had insisted that he live on the family estate and gave him his house. They had refused money for it as well, saying it is only right that a son inherits from his father. Truthfully, Jeong Hyuk could not have chosen a better place to live as he loved the quiet lifestyle and environment of the Lee Family estate. He felt it was ideal for a married couple to raise kids. He used the money from his father to set up the house and bought a safe car, keeping the rest in investments at Lee Sung's recommendations.

You could say, if Jeong Hyuk had written the story of his life, he could not have done better for himself- well excluding his brother's loss and the separation from his family. He was grateful though; not many people get the chance he got, more so with a family that genuinely loved you and sought your wellbeing like the Lee Family. Jeong Hyuk smiled wistfully as he caught up with his family to take pictures from the media before they entered the hotel were the Yoon Family was holding the Baek-il of their first grandchildren.

Chairman Yoon had been magnanimous with the media coming for the event, overjoyed about the good fortune in his family. Yoon Jae Min and Yoon Jae Kyung² had been named by their grandfather who was already spoiling them to high heavens; making huge donations in their names and having a school hall named after them. This lavish celebration was of course, dual pronged; a lavish celebration and an intentional meeting between Seri and Jeong Hyuk. This was so that should there would be a back story for their meeting in Seoul.

That would explain Jeong Hyuk's nervousness. Really, it's not like he shouldn't be accustomed to reunions by now; if he and Seri's story was anything to go by. But he came to understand that it doesn't matter how many times their reunions happened, for them, it will always be special because it was literally death and life that brought them to this moment.

Jeong Hyuk pocketed his hands so that he won't fidget with his sleeves as the Lee Family made their way to the hall were the event was taking place. They had arrived early and among the family members, it was only the twins and their grandparents in the hall, with their parents mingling, no Seri in sight. Jeong Hyuk maintained his calm as he greeted Seri's parents, Chairman Yoon greeting him familiarly, while adjusting the baby boy who was dozing off.

Silence seemed to come upon the hall and there was a slight buzz among the party goers at Seri's entrance. Jeong Hyuk who had been drawn into conversation with Chairman Yoon looked up at that moment and met Seri's eyes.

As always, Jeong Hyuk thought, she takes my breathe away. As always, Seri thought, my heart beats at your sight. As I thought, the both of them thought, I will always love you...

¹A Baek-il Ceremony or a 100 day Ceremony is a traditional ceremony in South Korea for parents to offer blessings for the good health and life of their child's first 100 days.

²Jae Min (Respect, Smarts), Jae Kyung (Respect, Bright). Thought it might interest you!

A/N: Looong chapter but worth it. This is the penultimate chapter, though after the finale there will be a lot of extras from different characters so stick around for that. Meanwhile, live and love!