Extra 3: North's Down South

The boys got a couple of visits to Seoul over the years by coming with a team of Olympic athletes. This was of course, arranged by Director Ri. The first time they came was just after Mu Jin, Jeong Hyuk and Seri's first son, became three months old.  Soo Hui and Soo Bin as always, were ecstatic to have more people to worship and spoil them (😆😏) especially Uncle Eun Dong who always played with them and took them out to the PC Bang¹ secretly. Pyo Chi Soo was loved by Mu Jin, who for some reason, tried to teach him all kinds of self defense moves. According to him, boys must not be weak (A/N: SMH Pyo Chi Soo. He's a baby).

The second time they came was when their fourth was about entering preschool. Seri's wishes for an obedient and calm child came in the form of their fourth child, Se Jeong. Although, both of their sons looked like Ri Jeong Hyuk, people felt Se Jeong looked more like him because of his reserved nature and willingness to give in to his mom and grandmas. He was Ju Meok's favourite of the bunch as he also enjoyed dramas and hanging out at the spa with the ladies of the family. He was a sensitive soul and also loved the piano like his father. At this time, Eun Dong had just finished his military training (10 years!!) and was planning to attend the university after getting his high school diploma.

Seri's Choice and Queen's Group had a merger and became QC Group (Queen's Choice) with Seri as the chairwoman and her eldest brother as a nominal shareholder. The move had come because Queen's Group started experiencing losses after Sang Ah's family exposed Sang Ah and Se Hyung's divorce, spinning the story into one of abandonment and cruelty towards a spouse. Despite Se Hyung not being involved in the management of the company and even the Yoon family, it became a whole issue that ended in Seri stepping in to save Queen's Group on the platform of a merger. She took advantage of the situation and exposed all the crimes of the Go family and completely wiped them out and their company such that the family members that were not prosecuted, could not remain in South Korea.

Chairman Yoon was so proud of Seri becoming chairwoman though he was nostalgic about his hard work being close to wiped out. He did think though, that it was safer to have Seri manage the company instead of it falling apart under Yoon Se Joon. Yoon Se Joon and Do Hye Ji ended up adopting a set of twin boys when their twins were five years old. According to Se Joon, at least his achievement in life can be that he is a great father.

When the boys came to South Korea again, Pyo Chi Soo and his wife came along with their children this time. Chi Soo decided that he would rather his kids be raised by Seri and Jeong Hyuk and have more opportunities than for them to stay in the North. It was a tough decision, especially for someone like Pyo Chi Soo, but he was willing to admit that his kids deserve better than the North could give them.

Seri also was on maternity leave, having just had their last child some six months ago. The baby of the house was just like Se Jeong in temperament. Ha Eun was a peaceful little girl and barely cried. Seri believed it was because she sent the other kids to their grandparents a lot that the last two turned out so calm and peaceful. Ha Eun was the love of her Grandpa Yoon's life. He and Grandpa Lee often took her out and carried her a lot while playing baduk. Naturally, Gwang Beom clicked with her as well since he first saw her as a six months old baby. Gwang Beom had been injured in a prior mission and had been put on bed rest so he was struggling with anxiety. It was a pleasure to see him connect with Ha Eun and smile and shower her with love.

Ju Meok could not go along on that trip because his father had passed away some days before and he had to be there for his family. The Village Ahjummas had given him a lot of food and scarfs to encourage him and his sisters and mom. He had convinced his family, including his sisters and their husbands to move to their little village and continue living there.

Man Bok came with them once. He had opened his own sound company and was currently a popular name in his field. He had worked with the National Orchestra and some movie companies doing some offshore shoots in the North. His son was currently in Medical School and he had a school age daughter.

***

In one of her travels for Queen's Choice Group business, Seri had come across Seo Dan. She was currently a professor of Classical Music in Austria and was living well. She had invited Seri to her house on a whim and Seri, surprising herself, had agreed. May be it was because they were older now or maybe it was the wine, they slipped in conversation like old friends.

Seo Dan had adopted two North Korean orphans and was raising them as Gu Seung Joon's and her kids. According to her, someone needs to remember and carry on the love he had for the good things in life. She had adopted them two years before, when she was just conferred her professorship and had worked hard, with her uncle's help to have them brought to Austria. She herself never believed she will be willing to raise kids. Her mom had remarried some years ago to a rich widower and she felt lonely. Her mom had encouraged her to adopt and even sent her pictures; she, intending to appease her mother, had politely glanced through it and happened on the photos of Gu Seo Joon (6 years old) and Gu Dan Yi (4 years old), her kids unknown to her at the time of course and fallen in love with them.

Seri had smiled a little knowing smile, she more than everyone understood the effects children had on you. They had talked for hours about everything and nothing; kids, life, work, Ri Jeong Hyuk and all. The rest of Seri's stay in Austria included regular visits from or with Seo Dan and they decided to stay in touch, willing to send the other's kids over for a visit and hangout in the near future.

Sigh, how good will it be, if no one burns bridges after crossing it because no one has seen the future. One can only play their part in the present with love and kindness, treating others well and living well. Who knows, those words, those acts could become an opened door, a helping hand, a warm blanket on a cold day, a hug or even a chance to keep loneliness away forever in the near future. Given time, bitterness and hard feelings can heal. It is a question of if you will have anyone in your corner when you let go of it.

¹PC Bang is what they call game rooms/internet cafes in South Korea like the one Eun Dong and Ju Meok went to while they were in the South.

A/N: Hi Family. Don't worry, I promise to round this up before the New Year. In the meantime, are there any fanfics you will like me to write or an extra story line you want to see? As always, drop it in the comments. Till next time, Live and Love!