It's Darkest Before Dawn

Seri was chatting with some members of the Music School Queen's Group sponsored at the after party. Earlier, Manager Hong had given her Jeong Hyuk's message and she was awaiting his text. She intended to stay for an hour, then claim an emergency and slip away so she could meet him at the hotel. She had reserved the room across from his to avoid suspicion and unnecessary attention; all she needed was his call and Operation Slip Away was a go!

The conversation was getting more engaging when Manager Hong caught her eyes and approached her. She had known and worked with Manager Hong for some years now; this was the saddest she had ever seen him and in that moment, Seri knew that the darkest day in her life may have begun.

"President Yoon, I think you need to see this." Manager Hong said, handing her his phone where news was been broadcast. Seri's hands shook as she received it. The reporter was reporting on site about an accident that occurred on the freeway not far from the party venue. They were the North Korean pianist, his secretary and the driver. From the CCTV footage, the driver had likely lost control of the car and rammed it into a flint that was been used to work on the road. The vehicle had tumbled down the hill and caught fire. There were no known survivors.

Seri had no idea how she made it out of the party or how she got into her car. Amid the sound of a tap at the highest speed, she remembered  Secretary Park (Soo Chan) and Manager Hong leading her out and someone calling her name as if they were quite far off and then darkness....

When Seri came to, her mum was by her side, her head nodding forward like a hen picking at corn. Mrs. Yoon came awake when she felt Seri move.
"You are up? How do you feel?" Mrs. Yoon said, rising to pat Seri's head. "Mom, when did you get here? What day is it?" Seri said, frantic and trying to get off the bed.

"I came in yesterday, straight from the airport to see you. You were induced to sleep for two days." Mrs. Yoon replied, her eyes sorrowful. "But th-" "I know, Seri ya. Calm down. Your father is here as well, handling the situation." Mrs. Yoon sighed and leaned forward to hug Seri, tears in her eyes. "The analysis from the accident was that the driver was having a heart attack and lost control of the vehicle, no one... a funeral will be held at the North Korean embassy in Bern. Being as it's a special circumstance, some members of the Music School will be permitted to attend."

Seri was dazed and unresponsive. It felt like her mom was a news reporter discussing the weather for all the emotion Seri was currently showing. Her mind felt blank and she couldn't believe her ears. Mrs. Yoon leaned back to catch Seri's gaze. She was sobbing as she held Seri's face. "My daughter is so pitiful. How difficult is it to find a soulmate and lose them forever. Seri ya, Omma is sorry. Uri Seri is so pitiful!" She hugged her and continued sobbing. Seri couldn't understand but when her mind returned to her, she realized she was patting her mom's back and telling her all will be fine. It seems it hadn't quite hit home yet...

The sun was annoyingly bright as a fleet of cars bringing in mourners stopped at the main entrance of the Embassy in Bern. Although the remains of the deceased will be sent to their home country, Ri Jeong Hyuk had a lot of friends and colleagues in Switzerland. In his honor, the Embassy extended this hand of fellowship.

Seri stepped out of the car, her eyes covered in a pair of sunglasses and her face next to devoid of make-up and expression. She had come straight from the hospital to the Embassy but she will be returning to her home after. Seri nodded politely to some people she recognized and went in to sign her attendance and take a seat. Manager Hong and Secretary Lee flanked her.

As she sat through the eulogies and the musical performance of his piano piece from his concert specially performed by one of his juniors, she still couldn't connect with what had taken place. For some reason, Seri felt like she was afar off viewing what was going on and not being a part of it. It was like watching a train wreck and being powerless to stop it or even look away. Her emotions, it seemed, were locked away in a glass box, inaccessible to herself as well as others.

Her mom had insisted she stay in the hospital in case she had a meltdown and had to been induced, but after been admitted for three days... Nothing. No tears, no loss of appetite, everything done precisely and at the right time. The doctor had no choice but to release her.
When the last note of the performance ended, a string of polite applause came; his junior was a sound pianist but it's not the real thing...

Seri held through the funeral and gave her thanks then returned home. She was to return to Seoul in two days since her work here was to be handled by Manager Hong. On reaching home, she just took off her shoes when she heard her phone go off. It was a notification for the hotel reservation she had made across from Jeong Hyuk's room on the night of the concert. The text was to ask if her reservation should be cancelled.

Suddenly, there was a sound in her head, like glass breaking and Seri dropped to her knees while clutching her phone. Ri Jeong Hyuk ssi, Ri Jeong Hyuk ssi is...

When Mrs. Yoon walked in, the sight that met her was of Seri by the shoe cabinet, bawling her eyes out.
"Seri ya!" Mrs. Yoon went to her frantic. "Mom, mom, we- we were supposed to meet. The hotel, he was... A text" Seri said in between tears. It finally clicked, the puzzle piece in her head. Ri Jeong Hyuk ssi was gone for good; he was not far away in the North Korea were she could long for him but not see him. He was gone, for good..