Homecoming...

On Seri's return to Seoul, she handed over management rights to her mum and her assistant indefinitely. The business world shook at the news and all kinds of speculations came forward in a bid to guess the reasoning behind her actions. It wasn't until two weeks later that Seri's Choice released a statement that President Yoon (Seri) was actually promised a vacation recently and had been under some stress so she was taking some time to herself to relax and plan how to move the business forward.

Of course, the response to that was a mixed multitude; some said at the end of the day she was female so she can't take the stress of business, but they were quickly drowned out by the others who supported her resting time, especially when pictures of her with some beneficiaries of the Queen's Group foundation having some time off at an amusement park were released.

All this was going on in public... Out of picture, Seri felt like she was dancing a ballet solo on the tracks of a moving train. She had collapsed under the weight of the emotional upheaval these few weeks on her return to Seoul. Surprisingly, her sister in law was her anchor. Since getting pregnant, Do Hye Ji had become a regular at Seri's penthouse and Seri had welcomed her. It may be because she didn't have female friends so her mum and Hye Ji made up for it. Chairman Yoon stopped by to visit Seri some days after his return.

Seri had some time to imagine what their conversation would be like after her mum told her about her father's involvement with Jeong Hyuk's situation; would her dad be unapologetic? Would he be defensive and stoic just like when he met her at the border? Seri thought about how the relationship between Director Ri and her father developed and couldn't phantom how those two could work together. Firstly, they had similar stoic personalities. Also, knowing Chairman Yoon, he probably has information on how Director Ri had her kidnapped, so...

Eventually, the meeting happened and Seri could not have guessed her father's reaction even if she had been given three years to do so. It happened that Seri woke up that morning and went to her kitchen to get coffee. Of course, Hye Ji was there as well as her mum but surprisingly her father was there as well... eating oatmeal and fruits. Seri met her mother's eyes and Hye Ji cheerily invited her to take a seat and served her some oatmeal. Chairman Yoon, his usual self, grunted to acknowledge Seri's presence and nothing more.

Towards the end of the meal, Hye Ji and mum excused themselves, citing work and prior appointments, leaving Seri and Chairman Yoon sipping on some coffee. As time went on, the originally cheery atmosphere from breakfast turned heavy with Yoon dad and daughter in a silent game of "Speak First". Chairman Yoon sighed, answering one of the questions on Seri's mind, "Yes, I know what Director Ri did to you while in the North. No, I didn't give him hell for it because he is your future father in-law."

While Seri was processing his statement, Chairman Yoon continued, leaning back in his chair. "Your mother and I were married for business reasons; she, for some reason liked me but sadly I didn't return her affection at the time. I made myself a promise at the time, a mental picture you could say,  that my children will have the choice of who they will be with for the rest of their lives without having to make those choices for any other reason but love; it will be the result of my sacrifice. But then your brothers disappointed my intentions; number one was gullible and lacked business sense, number two was greedy and incompetent hence, their choice of life partners. However, I had some hope for you." Chairman Yoon looked at Seri, a faint smile on his face.

"You were the result of a relationship that I had little faith in. I was happy to have you because I wanted a little girl I could love by myself. And since the day you grabbed my hand at your doljanchi¹, I held a hope for you that you will be different. I hoped to be close to you and in time come to understand you. But when I looked up, I realized my little girl was grown and moved out on her own; she was upset mentally and felt unloved but she wore a facade of nonchalance I wanted to believe in. Most of all, in what I considered a big failure as a father, she was walking the same path as me, a string of meaningless relationships to improve her business. I was burnt, thinking I may have to intervene and hopefully marry you to a family that will appreciate you.

"But then North Korea happened and when you returned, you were different. I noticed that much. Truly, it's thanks to your mum I noticed Lee Hyuk, that young man. You see, I may not be able to read my children always but I know the wife I married. I noticed her wistful look at the picture of your 'bodyguard' that went viral and her pulling strings to make sure he was not harmed at the NIS. That's when I knew that you had found your happiness. But, my dearest, you are your father's daughter, are you not? Going for an almost impossible relationship; never one to do things by half." Chairman Yoon concluded, pride in his voice and his smile.

Seri eventually came out of her daze; it seems she spends more time dazed these days than ever. She looked at her dad, her eyes filling with tears and her voice a mere whisper, "Where is he?"
Chairman Yoon looked down at his coffee that had gone cold and pushed it away, facing Seri. "He is with your uncle Lee now. I'm sure you remember that your uncle had a third son, though he left for Switzerland when you were five. His name was Lee Hyuk. You know he passed away some 13 years ago but the Lee Family had not filed concerning his death, both in Switzerland and their family registry. Your  Aunty Lee agreed to adopt Lee Hyuk as her son and so we were able to carry out our scheme."

Chairman Yoon suddenly looked uncomfortable and cleared his throat, looking away. "I understand that I should have told you of our plans but it was necessary for you to believe his death so that it will not be heavily scrutinized and Director Ri can have a way out in the North. But I-I want to apologize for the pain this experience caused you. I will not give excuses for the-"

Chairman Yoon's words were cut short when Seri suddenly hugged him. At first, he didn't know how to react; his little girl was hugging him!!! For the first time since she was seven, she was hugging him!!! He put his hands around her when he heard her sobbing and patted her back the way he had seen his wife do with her.

"Thank you." Seri whispered, her tears stealing her voice "thank you so much, father". Chairman Yoon sighed, it seems I didn't make the wrong decision after all...

¹Doljanchi - a Korean first birthday celebration for a child. A ceremony called the 'doljabi' is held where the celebrant baby will be encouraged to select from and array of items that is said will determine their future.

A/N: I tried writing a chapter to explain Chairman Yoon's actions. I ended up writing a homecoming, LOL... Anyways, new chapter! I will love to hear your thoughts on it. Meanwhile, Live and Love!