Old Friends on New Roads

Seri leaned back in her chair as she sipped her coffee. It had been an emotionally tasking week; from Jeong Hyuk's funeral at Bern to her meltdown after. It still felt like the worst was yet to come, or maybe that was just her being a pessimist. But one can't fault her for that now, right?

"Dear passengers of Flight 527 to Seoul, South Korea, please be informed that you have 30 minutes until boarding time...." Seri sighed at the flight announcement. I should head back, she thought as she finished her coffee. She was at a coffee shop adjacent the VIP lounge so that her mom could keep an eye on her; she had refused to be followed. She eyed the cheesecake she had ordered but left untouched, she really didn't have an appetite.

"Tough day?" The lady taking a seat across from her said. Seri eyed her and thought, I have seen this face before... Is she...
"Miss, you are obstructing my view of my mom. Besides, there are other empty tables. " "Ah, Mian habnida" Seri's gaze sharpened at her as the lady switched to Korean, specifically a North Korean accent.

"You are Seo Dan ssi, right?" Seri said, her gaze intent. She suddenly recalled that day, their only meeting, in front of Jeong Hyuk's house in that little village. But they barely knew each other, so what is she doing here?...
"I'm here to deliver a message on behalf of Director Ri."

"Ri Jeong Hyuk's father?" Seri answered, her brows furrowed.
Seo Dan ignored her statement and continued. "He said to tell you, 'return and wait. It will arrive soon. Take care, it's a family's treasure you're receiving." Seo Dan sighed and leaned back, arms folded at her chest. "I'm waiting for if you have questions. I've had a long flight to digest that message so I'm sure I can help you understand it... Well, from the look on your face, it seems my work here is done."

Seri sat in a daze but when she saw Seo Dan pick up her bag and make to leave, she came to herself and reached out her hand to stop her. Seo Dan looked down at her hand and then Seri's face. She really is lovely, Seo Dan thought, looking at Seri's eyes that were glassy with unshed tears. Seri said, "Excuse me.... Th-thank you."

Seo Dan nodded in her usual stoic manner and replied, "Take care" and walked away. As Seri watched her leave, a young man holding a carrier trying to catch up, her mind raced. Jeong Hyuk ssi... Does this mean? Was it a...

Seri's mum came to her when she saw the young lady leave her daughter's table. "Seri ya, are you OK? We need to leave, our flight is boarding". Seri stuttered, " Mum, she said... Jeong Hyuk... The Director... I-I want-". Mrs. Yoon held Seri's hand, looking her daughter in the eye, an encouraging smile on her face. "I know, that's why we have to go back to Seoul. I'll tell you all I know on our flight back."

***
Jeong Hyuk sat next to Chairman Yoon in the privacy lounge at the Airport. It's been two days since he woke up and they have concluded their discussions on how to return. They were currently trying plan A, which was: travel as a part of Chairman Yoon's retinue, simple right? But the simplest plans were usually the best and drew less attention.

As for his identity... Well, he had to give it to the old men, they were intelligent and methodical in their ways; he had to admit, next to their plans, his initial ones were really inferior. His new identity was as Lee Hyuk, the third son of the Lee Family, the owners of Majesty Inc. in South Korea. Majesty Incorporated was a company with over 70 years of history in manufacturing musical instruments; both classical western instruments like the guitar and violin and Korean traditional instruments like the gayageum. Chairman Lee and Chairman Yoon were school mates since basic school and were best friends, both entering the business world at the same time and excelling in their diverse fields. The Lee family was known to be reclusive with little interest in socializing while Chairman Yoon fed the news cycle constantly with his exploits and then his daughter's.