A New Everyday

Jeong Hyuk adjusted the cuffs of his suit as he met his eyes in the mirror. He tugged at the tie, straightened his blazer and strutted nervously, trying to see himself from different angles. It had been three months since he became Lee Hyuk, the third son of Chairman Lee of Majesty Inc. Chairman Lee's wife had declared that the family will be taking family photographs to commemorate the return of her 'son', so here he was dressing up.

"Lee Hyuk Oppa, are you done? We are expected downstairs, Mum and Dad are waiting for us" Lee Sun said. "OK, I'll be right there" Jeong Hyuk replied, meeting her eyes in the mirror.
Lee Sun was the fifth child, the second girl child of the Lee Family and the first person to accept him into the family, apart from Madam Yeo (Chairman Lee's wife). She was a Traditional Music Major at Seoul National University and a sweet 21 year old girl. When he was introduced to the family three months ago, he was met with mistrust in all eyes except hers and Madam Yeo, who enthusiastically hugged and welcomed him. So far, she was his 'language tutor' as she had taken it upon herself to make sure he adapts well to Seoul; from speech to dressing to texting slangs to favourite foods, she showed it all to him. She quite reminds me of Seri, Jeong Hyuk thought; of Seri's joy in others, her enthusiasm for life and city mindset.

Since Jeong Hyuk joined the household, he has never left the family estate. This was part of Chairman Yoon's plan. It was to stay invisible of the next three months so that scrutiny will die down. That meant no mobiles, no web access, no contacting Seri especially and no going out! Jeong Hyuk used that time to think of his plan going forward and of course, attend Lee Sun's 'classes'. He did play online games though using Lee Sun's account (A/N: I couldn't resist it 😈)!

Jeong Hyuk made his way downstairs to the common area where the cameras were set up and met all the other family members gathered there, except Lee Hye (first daughter, fourth child) and his sisters in-law. Chairman Lee was holding one of his grandsons and Madam Yeo was patting Lee Sung's (second son) newborn back to sleep in her arms. Chairman Lee looked at his wife with a cold expression but doting eyes when she leaned towards him to say something.

The Lee Family were a loveable bunch once they warmed up to you. The kids take after Chairman Lee in his coldness (except Lee Sun, of course) but eventually they loosen up when they like you. There were five kids in the family; obviously despite Chairman Lee's gruff nature, he really loved his friendly and extrovert wife. The first three were boys; Lee Dan, Lee Sung and himself Lee Hyuk, (obviously) then Lee Hye and Lee Sun, the two daughters. Lee Dan was currently the vice chairman of the board of Majesty Incorporated. He was married with three kids to the Ha Family's daughter who was a gourmet chef. He looked like a younger version of Chairman Lee and had his attitude. Lee Sun enjoyed pissing him off but he always gave her pocket money despite her having her allowance.

Lee Dan was the warmer of the two and a true artist at heart. He was a musical instruments maker and his works were very sort after. It was said that a guitar made by him could lure one's soulmate at the sound. Of course, he had an exclusive contract with Majesty Incorporated to make a set number of instruments yearly that cost an arm and a leg. It is true that opposites attract as he was married to the CFO of Majesty Incorporated, Chu Bo Young, the first female financial officer of a company in South Korea. She was as logical as he was artistic but they were introduced to each other at a company event, after which they took to each other and were currently married with a newborn daughter. Lee Hye took a different part from the family and studied medicine. She was currently rounding up med school at Seoul National University.

Jeong Hyuk, as a professional pianist fit in like the perfect hat to a perfect dress. After some time of knowing each other, the boys got drunk together and became closer, bonding over their military experience, with Sung and Dan considering Jeong Hyuk as a younger brother. The only person one could say Jeong Hyuk was distant with was Lee Hye, but apparently she was distant with everyone thanks to her profession which gave her no time for anything.

Jeong Hyuk smiled down at Lee Sung's daughter who ran and hugged his knees. She was an adorable three year old and took an instant liking to him, probably because he was tall like her dad. Jeong Hyuk was glad for the company, she did say she wanted girls, Jeong Hyuk thought, his mind suddenly drifting towards Seri. He had missed her the last few months but he was determined not to compromise their safety, that was why he refused to breach protocol and contact her. He just hoped she knew he was alive and doing well. The toddler pulled on his trousers to get his attention and he carried her, observing the activities taking place in the room. Lee Hye and the girls joined them and the picture taking began, with the family members following the direction of the photographer.

After the photos were taken, dinner was served and the house was rowdy as everyone chatted and caught up before leaving to their houses on the estate. As Jeong Hyuk chatted with Lee Sun, Madam Yeo caught his attention by smiling at him and holding his hand. "Your father will like to see you in his study". Jeong Hyuk was surprised. The last time when he was called to Chairman Lee's study was his early days here. It had been a half hour staring match with Chairman Lee before he had said with a faint smile in a deep voice, " You'll do." Lee Sun later told him that he was approved by him, meaning Chairman Lee liked him....

Jeong Hyuk walked in and try to shut the door behind him but Madam Yeo was trailing him. He shut it after she had swayed into the room, obviously in a good mood and she invited him to sit. Jeong Hyuk made eye contact with Chairman Lee, who nodded before took his seat. Military habits don't die easily. Chairman Lee cleared his throat and pushed a box towards Jeong Hyuk, "this is for you". Jeong Hyuk reached for it, wondering what it could be, seeing as the box was unmarked. " Come on, open it." Madam Yeo said, encouraging him as she sat on Chairman Lee's armchair with him.

Jeong Hyuk opens the box to see a phone and an envelope underneath. He is in a daze as Madam Yeo explained. "We felt bad about you not being able to contact your love so I got this secure line from my brother and had Seri's number saved on it. It's not much but it's the least we could do for now. We wish for you to be happy, Lee Hyuk ah."
Jeong Hyuk was emotional as he thanked his new parents, even returning Madam Yeo's hug.

On returning to his quarters, Jeong Hyuk opened the box again, turning on the phone. He grabbed the envelope, curious and correctly guessing it to be from Seri. It contained her bold but classy writing, bringing to memory a statement he had made when they first parted at South Korea's border. "If we wait and pray..."
Jeong Hyuk hands shook as he opened the phone and typed a message in reply, feeling reverent. "...Something will happen... Hello, Yoon Seri"

A/N: Family!! Consider me as excited as you are to read this. Please leave your comments. They seriously encourage me. Live and Love!