I don't feel so good about this

When I saw the Big House I felt extremely conflicted almost instantly. On one hand my heart felt extremely happy, as if this was where I was supposed to be, but my head didn't agree. The logic side of me said that this was a very bad idea, as if I had been told specifically never to go there.

"Here we are!" Drew said cheerfully in a way that said I'm going to ignore you and pay attention to Jason. "The Big House, camp headquarters."

Nevertheless, I entered the room with the sudden urge to hold Jason's hand, as if when I did both of us would be safe.

"I am not supposed to be here," Jason said.

Drew circled her arm through his. "Oh, please. You're perfect here, sweetie. Believe me, I've seen a lot of heroes."

"He's not kidding," I said on edge. "Neither of us are safe, or should ever be, here."

Jason removed her arm from his. "Look, I appreciate—"

"Is it that girl?" Drew pouted. "Oh, please, tell me you are not dating the Dumpster Queen."

"You mean Piper? Um ..." Jason looked at me for help, as if I knew what was happening.

"Let me help you decide, sweetie. You can do better. A guy with your looks and obvious talent?"

Drew wasn't looking at him, though. She was staring at a spot right above his head.

"You're waiting for a sign," Jason said to . "Like what popped over Leo's head."

"What? No! Well ... yes. I mean, from what I heard, you're pretty powerful, right? Both of you are. You're going to be important at camp, so I figure your parent will claim you right away. And I'd love to see that. I wanna be with you every step of the way! So is your dad or mom the god? Please tell me it's not your mom. I would hate it if you were an Aphrodite kid."

"Why?" I supplied this time, for some reason protective of him.

"Then he'd be my half brother, silly. You can't date somebody from your own cabin. Yuck!" she said with distaste.

"But aren't all the gods related?" Jason asked. "So isn't everyone here your cousin or something?"

"Aren't you cute! Sweetie, the godly side of your family doesn't count except for your parent. So anybody from another cabin—they're fair game. So who's your godly parent—mom or dad?" Drew leaned a bit to close to Jason for my liking.

"Back off," I snarled and earned a flinch from her.

"Chiron!" Drew called. "This is Jason. He's totally awesome! And.. Medea. I guess she's okay."

When we saw him Jason grabbed my hand, seemingly out of instinct, and I clutched his tightly too. There, standing before my own eyes, was a centaur. Something was seriously and Jason, for some reason, put himself between us. He seemed as protective of me as I was of him. The only question was why?

The centaur seemed as scared of us as we were of him, and he walked back a few steps in shock.

"You ..." The centaur's eyes flared like a cornered animal's. "You should be dead."

We came inside, hands still intertwined as we grounded each other.

"Follow me," Chiron said in an attempt to be nice. "We have lemonade.

The room looked overgrown and odd, a far stretch from what I thought camp was. But why? Why did I think the camp would be something completely different?

The stuffed leopard? snarled at us causing Chiron to reach almost immediately. "Now, Seymour. Jason and Medea are friends. Behave yourself."

"That thing is alive!" Jason said.