chapter 1

~Hello guys c: this is the first chapter of my long awaited Royai story :D I have a few ideas for this, but not as many as i had for the first one, so any suggestions on what you want to happen in the story would be appreciated. Also, I was wondering if you guys would want more Rebecca in this story because I think adding her as more of a main character would be great c: anyway I hope you enjoy the first chapter~

I woke up in the morning to a gentle peck on my lips.

I smiled and opened my eyes to see Roy Mustang staring down at me. A small smile spread across his face. "Good morning."

"Good morning" I replied, yawning.

"I'm about to leave for work." He said, pushing a strand of my hair behind my ear. "So you should start getting ready."

I groaned and sat up, stretching as I did.

"You're so cute when you first wake up." Roy smiled as he sat down next to me on the bed.

I blushed. "Shouldn't you go to work?"

He swung his arm around me and pulled me in his arms. "I should, but I can't do this at work." He smiled and placed another kiss on my lips.

"Well I still need to get ready."

He sighed. "Fine." He got up and put his military jacket on.

I followed him to the door and hugged him tight. "I'll see you later."

Roy smiled. "See ya later. I love you, Riza." He said, using my first name for the last time today.

"I love you too." I replied.

He gave me another kiss and left for work, shutting the door behind him.

I sighed and went to get ready for work.

It has been 5 months since the cancellation of Roy and Scarlett's wedding. Roy and I have been together ever since and I can honestly say this is the happiest i've been in my entire life.

The only problem with our love story is that it has to be kept completely secret. In fact, besides Roy and I, the only people who know about us are Hughes and Rebecca.

That's why we're overly cautious about with our actions, like one leaving the house at different times, it would be very suspicious if we showed up at work at the same time everyday.

It's better to be safe than sorry, since if anyone found out about us, we could both lose our ranks, or worse, our jobs.

It's amazing how just 5 months ago, I was at my lowest point in my lilfe. I was about to watch the man of my dreams marry another woman, but just like that, it all changed quickly when Roy showed up.

I can remember that day like it was yesterday, because the day after i was going to kill myself.

I remember that night, even more vividly. After Roy confessed his feeling for me, I let him stay the night at my apartment. I remember waiting up until I was positive both Roy and Rebecca were asleep before I got in my dresser drawer and ripped up the suicide letter and threw it away, then, I took the only bullet out of my firearm.

I finished putting on my uniform and clipping my hair back. I filled Black Hayate's food and water bowls up to the brim, since he wasn't coming to the office with me today. After locking up the house, I left for work.

I walked to Central Headquarters, messenger bag on my shoulder. It was a fairly nice day out. There was a little chill, but not enough to feel cold.

I walked straight to Roy's office and saluted him. "First Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye reporting for duty, sir."

He looked up from his paperwork and saluted back. "Good morning, Lieutenant." He replied, keeping a casual tone.

I walked to my desk and sat down, sighing at the huge, neat stack of paperwork waiting for me to fill out.

"So what's on my schedule today, Lieutenant?" Roy asked.

"You have to finish your paperwork by 1700 hours and you have a meeting with the fuhrer at 1500 hours."

"Okay." He replied.

The next few hours were spent with light conversation between Roy and his subordinates. I looked over at the Colonel every so often out of habit. It was one of my duties to make sure Roy stays on task. Once in a while, Roy would notice my gaze and send back a smile, in which I would just blush and look away.

Lunchtime came quickly and I found myself sitting in the mess hall with Roy, Lieutenant Colonel Hughes and Lieutenant Ross, which wasn't out of the ordinary.

"She's so precious! Look at my darling daughter Elycia!!" Hughes gushed, shoving a picture of his daughter in Roy's face.

"Seriously Hughes? Can you talk about anything other than your daughter?" Roy replied

"Of course I can, Roy! I'll talk about my wife!" Hughes smiled, digging in his coat for more pictures.

Roy face palmed.

"Speaking of wives" Lieutenant Ross said. "Though it's none of my business, I was wondering why you cancelled your wedding, Colonel."

Roy shrugged. "I guess I got cold feet." He smirked. "Marriage is a once in a lifetime thing, so I want to be sure I choose the right woman."

"You'll find the perfect woman, sir. You're still young.:

"I think the woman he has now is a keeper!" Hughes chimed in.

There was a huge thud from under the table.

"Ow! Roy!"

"Oh sorry, Hughes. I didn't realize your leg was there."

Lunch ended and soon it was time for Roy's meeting.

He stood up. "It is time for my meeting with the Fuhrer. First Lieutenant Hawkeye and Second Lieutenant Havoc, you two are going to be my escort."

Havoc and I saluted. "Yes, sir."

We followed Roy out of his office, Havoc on his left and I on his right.

"Good luck, Chief." Havoc mummbled as Roy entered the Fuhrer's office.

About half an hour later, Roy walked out of the Fuhrer's office with a big smile on his face.

"What's the smile for, sir?" I asked.

"Guess who just got promoted to Brigadier General?" He replied.

I smiled.

"Congratulations, sir."

The next hours were spent finishing up paperwork.

I packed my bag and headed home.

I walked through the door of my apartment and took my jacket off, hanging it up. I noticed Roy's jacket was laying on the floor. I sighed and picked it up.

I found Roy in our bedroom shortly after. He was sitting on the bed, taking his boots off.

"Hello, Brigadier General." I said.

He looked up and smiled. "Riza, we did it!"

"No you did it." I corrected.

"I couldn't do it without you!" He stood up and jogged towards me. He lifted me up and spun me around. I wrapped my legs around his waist. "We're one step closer Riza, one step closer."