Chapter 8

Y/n's P.O.V.
I'm not sure how long we've been walking through this shucking Scorch. Three days? Four, maybe. We've completely run out of water and food is low too.

I put one foot in front of the other, just concentrating on my steps. Blocking out the thoughts about the heat, the thirst . . .

Chuck is walking next to me, a sad look on his face. Minho leads the group, Finnick walking next to him. They discuss how much longer they suspect every now and then. Aris trails behind them silently. Thomas and Teresa walk side by side, towards the middle of the group. Newt walks behind them, glancing back at Chuck and I every now and then. Frypan walks next to him, silent as ever.

   It's really sad to think that of the fifty or so gladers, less than ten remain. My thoughts trail to Gally, and how he had acted before we left.

"Gally, it's over. Just come with us," Thomas said, looking out at the last few Gladers. Gally was silent as he turned and looked at all of the Gladers who were staying. There were roughly 15 of us leaving.

He looked at Thomas.

"Good luck against the grievers," he then turned to me and his expression softened. "Take care of yourself, Y/n."

I felt a tear fall down my cheek as he turned away.

Chuck then came to me and handed me a back pack. I smiled a little at him and said a quick thank you before Minho lead the group into the maze. I looked at the Glade one more time and turned to follow the group.

I frowned and glanced at Chuck as the memory flashed through my mind. Gally hadn't done all that much wrong, he was only trying to protect the Gladers.

I know Gally isn't a bad guy, he's just . . . misunderstood. He was only doing what he thought was right to protect his friends. His family. I could never blame him for that. He should've just approached the situation a little bit differently.

In all honesty, I don't blame Gally. He was just protecting them. As for the gun thing, he was stung. Half out of his mind. Everyone knows what a griever sting can make you do. What it can make you see.

"What's up, Y/n?" Thomas' voice calls gently in my head. I lift my head and look up at him. His pace is slower, and he's looking past Newt and right at me. 

"What do you mean?"

He gave me a look. A 'don't lie to me, I know when you're lying' look. I sighed and looked back at the sand. 

"I'm just thinking," I thought back. I looked up and saw him stop and move so Newt and Fry could push past him. He stood beside me for a second and glanced at Chuck. Chuck nodded and followed behind Newt.

Thomas looked over at me with a sigh.

"I'm sorry about everything, Y/n. About Gally."

I eyed him suspiciously. "How did you know I was thinking about Gally?"

"Y/n, our brains are literally connected. I know things about you, and you know things about me," he smiled. I gave him a weak smile and looked back down at my feet as we walked again.

"I was just thinking about how terrible it was. What he was doing was wrong, of course, but he had good reasons. It was a 'wrong thing for the right reasons' thing."

"I don't blame him, Y/n. He was just trying to look out for his family and for his home. I am pissed about the shooting thing, though. That was my fault and I'll always be sorry about that."