Chapter 14

Newt's P.O.V.
"Are you alright, Y/n? Hurt?" I whispered to her softly. She shook her head and I glanced at her tear-stained cheeks. "No, I'm fine... are you okay?" I nodded.
"Yeah, but you've been crying..." I mumbled. She sniffled and turned away a little bit. "Yeah... just worried about you guys."

I get a little warmed at the thought. She had been concerned that much for our safety... for my safety.

Ava Paige stepped off one of the carriers and talked in a hushed voice to Jansen. I saw Y/n flinch a little when one of them motioned towards the gladers.
I reached over to her with my bound hands and tried my best to comfort her. Then Jansen turned and ordered for everyone to be loaded up. Several rows were yanked tot heir feet and led to the carriers.

Paige walked over to us and motioned at Thomas. The guard yanked him up and he stood in front of her. "Hello Thomas."

I watched as she looked to the side and I followed her gaze to see Teresa walking towards her timidly. "I'm glad you're safe," Paige said to her, reaching out for her to stand with them.
   Hang on.. what?

   We were pulled to our feet as Teresa looked over at us guiltily. Why isn't she tied up too? i thought to myself.
   "What the hell..." Frypan mumbled "Teresa?" Y/n's soft voice called. "What's going on?" I asked. Thomas looked down and sighed. "She's with them."

   Everyone looked to Thomas in shock and back at Teresa. Y/n's face had fresh tears falling down. "Since when?" Minho asked, surprise evident in his voice.
   Jansen stepped over and smiled. "Oh Teresa's always had an evolved appreciation of the greater good. One we restore her memories... it's only a matter of time."

   She looked over at us guiltily while we all looked at her betrayed. "I'm sorry," she said. "I had no choice, this is the only way. We have to find a cure."
   "She's right, this is all just a means to an end. You used to understand that, Thomas. So did you, Y/n. No matter what you think of me, I am not a monster, I'm a doctor. I swore an oath to find a cure. No matter the cost... I just need more time," Paige said.

   "More blood," a voice corrected form behind us. I turned and saw Mary walking towards us. "Hello Mary, I'd hoped we'd meet again. Im sorry it had to be under these circumstances."
   "I'm sorry about a lot of things too, but not this. At least my conscience is clear." It was silent before Ava Paige spoke again.

   "So is mine."

   Then the gunshot rang out. Everyone jumped back, and I pulled Y/n with me. I heard several screams and i heard Vince's distinct voice calling out to Mary. "Mary! Let go of me! Mary!" he caught her as she fell.
   Y/n's knees buckled underneath her and i caught her as tears streamed down her face. She turned and wrapped her arm around my back, shoving her face into my side.

   Vince continued yelling Mary's name as Paige told Jansen to continue loading. Two guards pried Vince away from Mary's body as Paige shouted orders.

   I felt Y/n be yanked away from my side by two guards, and I was grabbed before i could even react. Then i heard Thomas yelling for everyone to get back.
  He had an explosive. The guards holding us immediately let go and backed away, guns aimed at our heads.

   Jansen and several other guards came running towards him. "Hold your fire!" several guards yelled. "Let them go," thomas demanded. "Thomas..." Jansen said.
   "Let them all go!" He screamed. "You know i can't do that!" Paige said as she stepped forward. "Thomas, please stop," Teresa cut in. "I made a deal with them- they promised. They promised we'd be safe- all of us!"

   "So i'm supposed to trust you now?" Thomas shot back. "It's true, it was her only condition," Paige said. "Shut up!" Thomas yelled.
   "Everything can go back to the way it was. Thomas... do you really want all of them to die?" I looked down at my feet and then at Y/n.