Chapter 12

I had forgotten how good it felt to not be walking through this terrible heat. The AC in the car wasn't the best, but it was way better than the immense heat we had been walking through.
I closed my eyes and relaxed, feeling the wind blow my hair back slightly.

Of course all good things must come to an end.

"Well... looks like we're on foot, hermanos," Jorge announced.
I opened my eyes to see that the road ahead was blocked by cars. Old and run down cars, dented and covered in rust. I sighed as everyone began to exit the car.

We were on the side of one of the smaller mountains, so the road had a median on the edge. Otherwise we would've gone around.

We all got out and began to walk, squeezing past the cars that were just barely touching each other. I saw Jorge digging around in the dusty trunk of a dirty car, and I saw Newt leaning in the window of another car nearby.
Chuck ran his fingers along the side of a dusty red pickup truck with a cracked front windshield. Thomas examined the windshield of a car not that far away from me.

I watched as Minho started to lift himself over the hood of one of the cars, but I immediately jumped when I heard the gunshots.
"Get down!" I heard one of the boys yell. "Take cover!" Minho jumped back and grabbed my arm before ducking behind a dirty white car, pulling me down with him.

"Where Chuck?" I demanded, looking around at the surrounding cars.
I couldn't see anyone else, as they all must have ducked down behind their own cars.

I called out to Thomas. "Where's Chuck? And Newt?" I heard more gunshots firing, and Minho tightened his grip slightly. "They're fine, stay down." Thomas called back.
I relaxed my kind a little bit, everything's fine for now. But who's shooting at us?

The shots subsided and all that was heard was the echoes of the ricocheted bullets.
"Is everyone okay over there?" Thomas called from behind another car. "We're fine!" I heard Teresa call back from somewhere to my right.

"Does anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newts accented voice rang from somewhere to my left. I swore I hear Jorge mumble something from far off, and I saw Thomas' head peek from behind one of the cars.
He ducked down as several more bullets ricocheted off the good of the car, sending off several bright yellow sparks. "What do we do?" I heard him ask.

A few moments of almost deafening silence before Jorge's voice rang out. "Everybody, get set to run back to the truck! And cover your ears!"
I nodded to myself and glanced at Minho. He gave me a reassuring nod and we both got set to sprint back. "One... two..." we almost couldn't hear Jorge counting down, but we definitely heard the gun cocking and the voice that came after it.

"Drop it."

"Now."
It was a feminine voice, and I could tell they weren't going to put up with us for long. "I said drop it!" I looked back and could barely see the top of their heads from where I was. There were two girls, one with dark hair and one with platinum blonde hair.

"On your feet, let's go," she demanded, pointing her gun at Thomas and Jorge. They slowly stood up and began backing away. "I said let's go! Back up!" She yelled, walking forward slowly with her gun trained on Thomas' forehead.
"You two, over here now," she called to someone, looking behind another car. I saw Finnick and Chuck stand up slowly and back up with Thomas and Jorge while the blonde girl also began yelling for them to keep moving. "Don't be stupid."

"All of you!" One of them yelled, glancing around at us and a few other cars. Minho and I stood slowly, as did the rest of the gladers. Newt glanced back at Minho and I before standing next to Finnick.
I watched as Aris and Teresa stood up, Frypan and Brenda standing up after. The girl with the dark hair furrowed her brows and glanced at Aris.