Eternal Existence

Edward

"Since it's happening to both of us, I highly doubt that." I want her to spit it out; her fidgeting has only amped up the beast within me. Though it had been worried, I had lost her for good earlier; it could only hold itself back for so long.

She sighs, running her hand through her hair. I nearly groan as her scent wafts over me, almost overwhelming the beast. However, the need to know how soft her hair feels takes over. It has me instantly sitting in front of her on an ottoman, the move so quick she startles.

I smile, hoping to make up for scaring her.

She seems dazed for several seconds but recovers quickly. "This isn't the first time this has happened to me."

"Do you mean dying at the hands of a vampire, or something else?" The sarcasm in my tone is obvious.

She glares at me. "Why are you acting like such an ass?"

I stare at her just as angry; though, it's not her fault other than having such a luscious scent. "I'm hungry."

"Oh."

"Yes, oh."

"I'll make this quick," she says, looking out the large floor to ceiling windows. "That way you can go hunt."

I pinch the bridge of my nose, to stop breathing or lashing out at her. "Please refrain from mentioning hunting in my presence."

"Fine. Will you look at me though?"

I nod but offer nothing more. I know she'll have to leave soon or my family will have to stop me from attacking her. Which from previous loops, I know they will not succeed. Already my beast conjures vivid images of this girl in my arms, my nose skimming the length of her neck, feeling the pulse under my tongue.

My mouth waters with venom.

"I've been having dreams right before I wake up on this day, only they're not dreams. This thing happening to us has happened to me before. Only I didn't remember." She says the words slowly, as if she's speaking to a toddler. "The first time was years ago. I was still a child, but I swear I remember breaking my arm, my leg, and much more." She closes her eyes, clenching her hand over her right knee. "There was a piece of my bone sticking out." She shudders, touching the front of her right calf. "I was hospitalized, and the pain was too much, so I was put to sleep, then suddenly, it's the same day, and I manage to only break my arm instead of everything in the fall. My mom said it was déjà vu when I told her I dreamed about the accident."

"You think it was more than that."

She nods. "That first time, I started the day literally seconds before the accident."

I'm curious about the accident, but what she's saying seems impossible. My family listens intently, each of them thinking like me. She's only human. How can she wield such a power?

"I thought it was a dream or something, a one-time deal. Then, a few years later, my mom decided she totally believed in palm readers and fortune tellers." She looks down at her palms. "The palm reader, she said my palms were impossible to read. So, of course, my mom takes me to a fortune teller. That woman took one look at me and said I had to leave and take death with me."

"What are you saying, Bella?"

"The accident that my mother and her husband had," she says softly, then pauses and sighs heavily.

I nod, knowing the story of her first move to Forks, only to leave the following day after hearing her mother and husband had a bad car accident.

She clears her throat to continue. "I was in the car the first time," she declares, and her brow furrows as she swallows hard.