Three Gems and a Baby

Rose Quartz blinked, staring down at the tiny creature. "He's so. . . small!"

        Greg nodded. "Humans don't start out like Gems. We're born small, and then over the years we grow."

        "But shouldn't he be ready for life on Earth?" she asked, seemingly dumbfounded. The pearl on his forehead glinted. "He's so vulnerable."

        "Well. . . yeah," the man said, puzzled. "Human babies rely on their parents until they develop. In the meantime, they just sort of. . . sit around. And eat. And sleep."

        "Do they use the toilet you you big guys do?" Amethyst asked, poking at the baby. He giggled.

        "Uhhh. . . kind of?" Greg replied. "Don't you guys know anything about babies?"

        The three Gems stared at him.

        "Oh boy, I guess not," he said, rubbing his balding head.

        "Hey, baby," Amethyst called to the helpless creature. "What's your favourite food?"

        "Uh. . . he can't talk yet," Greg explained, looking baffled.

        Amethyst was gobsmacked. "He can't talk? How come you can?"

        "We learn. We learn to talk and walk and go to the toilet and all that stuff as we grow up."

        "Ohhh," Amethyst said, still looking confused.

        "Do you play games with him?" Rose asked, wiggling her fingers over the baby. He laughed and reached out to grab them. She felt something twang in her chest.

        "Yeah, when he's not sleeping. He usually just likes to look around."

        "And what did you name him, again?" Rose asked, gazing down at the giggling thing.

        "Steven."

        "Steven," she droned, feeling the name on her tongue. She wondered, would Pearl have liked it?

        "Awww, how cuuutee!" Amethyst fawned.

        Greg chuckled. "Yeah, I guess."

        "'Steven' will soon need a nap," Garnet broke in, adjusting her visor. "We should go back to the Temple."

        "Oh no, it's fine, really, you can stay as long as you want," Greg assured.

        Almost hesitantly, Rose turned away. "Greg's right. We should give them some time together."

        Greg raked a hand through his hair and stood when Steven gave a jaw-cracking yawn, cradling him in both arms. "Alright, sure. I'll see ya! I better go put sleepyhead to bed."

        "Is that his other name?" Amethyst asked Garnet.

        "No, his other name is 'Cutie-Pie'," Garnet said. Her visor glinted.

○○○

After their near-abduction of the baby, the Gems made a point of visiting almost on a daily basis. Though Rose remained friendly and helpful, playing games with the baby when Greg needed a break, Garnet often caught her gazing at the smooth gemstone against his forehead.

        It was midsummer when Greg called on them to babysit Steven so he could take a break.

        "You mean, we sit on him? Like birds?" Amethyst asked.