Jailbreak

He gazed in at the red figure hunched against the wall.

        "Um . . . hello? Are you okay?"

        The Gem jumped and gazed out at him. She looked to be very much on edge.

        Suddenly, she slammed her fist against the wall. "Great! This is just perfect!" she growled, and clutched at her cubic head.

        Steven tried again. "Uh . . . do you need any help?"

        "No!" The Gem cried, and glared at him angrily. "I mean. . . don't look at me! Just, go away. . ."

        He sighed and turned away.

        "Hey wait!" The Gem stood and moved closer to the yellow screen boxing her in. "You're out! How did you get past the field?"

        "Oh!" He stretched his hand out. "I just kinda. . ."

        Concern flared in the Gem's eyes. "Wait! Nononono wait—"

        She stopped when his hand slipped easily through. ". . . It's . . . okay?"

        She pressed her own hand to the field and was promptly zapped. She hissed, stepping back. "What's going on. . ."

        It was at that moment a lilting tune wafted through the corridor, and the Gem fell silent, listening.

        After a few moments, Steven spoke up. "Somebody's singing!"

        "Sapphire. . ." the Gem breathed, and whipped to face him. "Let me outta here! Please! I need to find Sapphire!"

        "Is she your friend?" Steven asked. "I'm looking for my friends too."

        "She's all alone—I need to find her!" the Gem cried.

        "Don't worry, we'll find our friends," he offered, and stepped into the yellow field, opening a hole for her. The field jottled him as he cried, hopefully, "And we'll do it together!"

        In a flash, the Gem dashed under his arm and took off in a full sprint down the corridor.

        "Wait for me!" Steven cried, and pulled away from the field, dashing to keep up. The Gem skidded to a stop and he pulled up beside her.

        "Hey, my name's Steven, by the way. What's yours?"

        "Quiet!" she grunted, and held her head in her hands. "I can't see. . ."

        She glanced up and down the corridor before making a decision. "This way!" she said, and dashed off to the left.

        "How many more Gems are trapped here?" Steven called after her, scrambling to keep up.

        "Don't know, don't care," she called back, and then stopped. "She stopped singing!" She looked wildly around and cupped her hands around her mouth to call out. "Sapphire!"

        They had stopped by a large window and when Steven gazed through it, he caught a glimpse of the Earth sprawled below. He followed the Gem down the corridor and they soon came to another engaged cell.

        The Gem gasped hopefully, and then frowned. "Oh . . . it's just you."

        As Steven squinted past the field, he caught sight of a tear-shaped gem on the figure's back. "Lapis!"

        She turned and gazed, anxious—and then annoyed—at him.

        "Lapis, I can get you out!" Steven said, and reached out for the field.