That Will Be All (Zoo Arc: Part 3)

"You two are in big trouble," the Amethyst had snarled, and promptly marched them out of the paradise.

        A maze of darkened corridors later they finally found themselves in front of a squat door. She opened the panels using the interface and dropped them on the floor inside.

        "These the ones?" she said.

        Ominous laughter echoed from all points of the room, suddenly split by a frantic cry.

        "Steven! Greg!"

        A huddle of large Amethysts parted to reveal Amethyst—their Amethyst—struggling in the muscular arms of another purple Gem. "They found me out!"

        "Amethyst!" Steven cried.

        "You won't believe what I'm been through! These Amethysts are really, really. . . GREAT!"

        "What?"

        Suddenly, the whole chamber was rumbling with laughter.

        "Your faces!" their captor crooned.

        "You were right, that was priceless!" the Gem holding Amethyst cried, and she let her down. The smaller Quartz wasted no time in rushing back to her friends and sweeping Steven up in a hug.

        "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to! What are you wearing?" she pulled back and turned to his dad, pushing himself up on quaking legs. "Greg, this is a good look for you!"

        "What is going on?!" Steven cried desperately.

        "These Amethysts— they're all from Earth! They're from the Prime Kindergarten! Wait— hey, 8XL!"

        A dark-skinned Amethyst across the room smiled. "Yeah?"

        "You guys, I'm an eight!" his friend shot a pointed look at the other Gem. "Tell 'em, tell 'em!"

        She grinned. "The Amethyst under me never popped out. We were all waiting and. . . pfft, nothing."

        "I'm 8XM! Facet-5, Cut-8XM, that's me!" Amethyst said excitedly, and swung her finger at the others. "That's 8XG, that's 8XH. . ."

        "I'm J," the Gem in question corrected.

        "Aw jeez, sorry, I'm worse than Holly Blue!" Amethyst mourned.

        "Aren't we all?"

        Another ripple of laughter.

        "Prime, Prime, Prime. You Amethysts are so clique-y." Steven turned to a slender orange Gem across the room.

        "Skinny's a Jasper!" Amethyst explained excitedly. "There are Gems here from the Beta Kindergarten too! Hey, where's Carnelian?"

        "Celebrating," Skinny grinned.

        "I'm not the shortest anymore!" A tiny red Gem burst out of nowhere and snatched Amethyst up in a tackle, prompting more laughter.

        "This is unreal," Greg murmured.

        "Hey!" Steven called over the din. "Please, if you don't mind me asking, we really need your help. We came in with Sapphire, Ruby and Rose—we've gotta find them and get out of—"

        At that moment, the door behind him slid open with a hiss, and a familiar snobby voice floated through.

        "I'll only be a moment," said Holly Blue Agate, and in a panic, Steven grabbed Greg's hand and pulled him off behind a cluster of Amethysts.