Bubbled Bismuth

"This is . . . nice."

        Garnet lounged back in the grass, eyes closed. Dappled sunlight danced across her dark skin. "I can see us spending many hours together like this . . . figuratively. But literally, too, perhaps."

        The permafusion hadn't quite integrated as a personality yet (which was evidently portrayed in her choice of dual colour, a striking blue and pink) and had yet to fully master her newfound abilities. Sapphire, Pearl thought, must find it particularly difficult to grow accustomed to the prospect of multiple possible future timelines.

        "It is beautiful here," she sighed, gaze distant. There was a soft smile on her face. "I fell in love with it at first sight, and Rose. . ." she paused, blinking. ". . . Where is Rose?"

        She looked to Garnet, still lying calmly in the grass. She peeked one of her eyes open. "Me? Oh, uh. . ." the third eye blinked open. "Maybe . . . she could return soon from border patrol, or flower picking. . ."

        "Flower picking," Pearl mulled. "Oh, that's right! She went to check in on Bismuth's collecting for me. Perhaps she's at the Forge right now."

        Garnet made a non-committal sound, and Pearl laughed and stood. "I'll go and see. I won't be long."

○○○

"—And finally, I polished it all over with resin, to protect the blade . . . but also to make it pretty."

        Rose padded along behind the babbling blacksmith, unable to focus her attention on any one thing. The Forge was strewn with weapons and parts, stacked against the walls, piled on makeshift benches, and scattered on the floor. She stepped over a dulled sword delicately.

        "So . . . what is this new tool you've been ranting about? Pearl's getting impatient."

        Bismuth shot her a look over her shoulder and grinned. "Just you wait 'til you see it."

        They came to a stop next to a rounded platform ringed with clay figures. Rose turned to a nearby bench and picked up a small tool.

        She turned it over in her hands, admiring the way the sliver of metal shone.

        "Ta-daaa!"

        She looked up to find Bismuth wielding a large cylindrical . . . thing. It was almost like an arm cannon, with straps to secure to one's arm, and a menacing pointed blade on the end.

        "This, is the Breaking Point. I've been working on this baby for months! Whaddya think?"

        Rose didn't know why, but suddenly she felt queasy. "What . . . does it do, exactly?"

        "I'll show you." With a flourish, Bismuth spun and put it against the gem marking on the closest figurine. She pulled the trigger.

        With a loud BANG!, the point shot through the clay. When Bismuth moved aside, Rose could see the far wall through the huge hole. The discarded clay lay in clumps on the ground.

        She felt sick.

        "See how much power this thing has? Look at that! And it didn't even take any effort. We could down thousands of Homeworld Gems like this!"

        Bismuth stood tall, a triumphant grin on her face. The Forge was silent for a moment.

        "Bismuth, I . . . we can't use that."

        Bismuth stared at her for a moment, uncomprehending, and then chuckled.

        "Aw, you worry too much! As if Pearl wouldn't use this stone-cold ba—"