Together Breakfast

Half an hour to make breakfast. The longest breakfast Steven had ever made.

        He glanced around, finding the house empty, and sighed, throwing himself on the counter. "That thing's too good for me to eat alone!" he whined to no one in particular. "It's a. . . Together Breakfast!"

        It was at that moment the warp pad chimed and he rocketed up, losing his balance and tumbling off the counter.

        When he stood, he found Garnet standing on the pad, a mysterious scroll in hand.

        "Ah, Garnet, perfect! Check it out!" he lifted the plate for her to see. "It's not exactly healthy, but it's in a stack. . . so I guess you could say it's a. . . balanced breakfast?"

        Garnet stared at him.

        "Y'know, like I made us all breakfast! I thought we could eat together, like, like best buds!"

        "I can't stay. There's business to attend to inside the temple."

        She turned and stepped up to the door, holding her hands out. The matching gems settled into her palms glowed, lighting up the corresponding gems on the door. A Y-shaped patten appeared on the door and the panels slid open to reveal a stone chamber, aglow with warm light.

        "Aw, business! Like what?"

        Garnet turned, unrolling the scroll for him to see. "I have to burn this."

        He gazed at the thing, adorned with fluorescent, swirling patterns. He thought he could hear whispers as his eyes traced the bright lines.

        "Cool!" He grabbed his phone and held it up, snapping a photo of the artefact. No sooner had he opened the gallery to gaze at the newest picture that Garnet plucked the phone from his hands.

        "I have to burn this too," she said, and turned, strolling into the Temple.

        "No! My apps!" Steven ran to the door, smacking into it helplessly as it sealed. He stepped back and lifted his hand to feel at the gem against his forehead

        "Door," he demanded. When nothing happened, he laid his bejewelled head against the panel. "Open door!"

        Nothing.

        He stepped away, sighing. "Awh, it never works when I need it!"

        At that moment, the door to the shack slammed open to reveal a muscled purple man holding an Erf! gun. "Dumb police!" he growled, and aimed the contraption at Steven's heavenly breakfast. "Uhh, you're dumb!"

        He squeezed the trigger and a jet of water blasted out, making a beeline for the plate.

        "Nooooo!" With a dramatic cry, Steven ran and leapt, flying in front of the breakfast and taking the hit. He tumbled to the ground, shirt wet, but breakfast saved.

        The policeman gave a high-pitched laugh, shifting his head to resemble a familiar Gem with flowing hair. "Oh man, I totally got you! You shoulda seen the look on your face!"

        "Awh, I knew it was you!"

        "Pfft, how?"

        He stood and tugged off his shirt, walking to the cupboard. "'Cause that's a water gun!" He hurriedly exchanged it for a dry shirt, closed the door, and slipped it on, levelling a glare at Amethyst. "And I'm not dumb!"

        "You got something on your shirt."

        He looked. Just the star.

        Another jet of water soaked him.