Rose's Dream (Zoo Arc: Part 1)

Hibiscus flowers swayed against a lush backdrop—a grassy hill, a clear sky and a glint of pink—

        . . .Steven?. . .

        The voice is disembodied and distant, carried on the breeze that sways the flowers.

        Steven?. . .

        The view is constant, locked like a video camera during a scene in a movie.

        "Steven!"

        Steven woke with a start, vision blurry. When he touched fingers to the dampness on his cheek, they came back with glistening water.

        He became aware of the movie onscreen and sat up, wiping at his face.

        "You okay, bud?" his dad asked, settling a hand on his back. "You fell asleep during the movie. I was gonna let you sleep (you looked so cute!) but, then you started crying, and. . . that was less cute."

        Steven gave a soft laugh. "No, I'm fine. . . I don't know why I was crying. My dream wasn't really sad. . ." he yawned, and Greg checked his watch.

        "Oh, jee, look at the time. . . and my classy new watch!"

        Steven stared uncomprehendingly at the golden accessory against his wrist. Greg smiled sympathetically and patted his shoulder.

        "Let's get you home, bud."

○○○

". . . Eh, you didn't miss much. Turns out they were abducting cows 'cause they needed milk for their cereal planet!"

        Steven stepped up onto the stairs to the beach house and paused. "Dad. Before you go . . . can I ask you something?" He turned and fixed him with a serious stare.

        "Yeah, of course!" he smiled, but seeing Steven's expression, his brow creased in worry.

        "Did Mom ever talk to you about. . . Pink Diamond?"

        Greg stared at him for a moment, before sighing. "There were some things your mom. . . didn't like to talk about. I . . . never pressed her for details."

        "Why not?" Steven felt himself growing a little desperate.

        Greg shook his head and started up the stairs. "Pearl and I talked about tonnes of important stuff—music, literature, getting sand between your toes . . . you know, feelings," he said, wedging onto the step beside him. "We both made a lotta mistakes when we were young—I thought disco was coming back, she started a war. . ." Steven cringed.

        "I could tell she didn't like to talk about it. She told me at one point she couldn't because of Rose." Steven's ears pricked up. "I don't know what that means, but. . . I told her, the past is the past. 'All that matters to me is who you are now'—and who she was, was . . . an incredible, smart, loving being."

        Steven gave a soft smile, feeling for the gem against his forehead. That . . . felt a lot better. But he still needed answers. Making a mental note to ask Rose later, he turned and gave Greg a warm hug. "Thanks. 'Night, Dad."

        "'Night, Steven."

○○○

Hibiscus flowers swayed against a lush backdrop—a grassy hill, a clear sky. . .

        I'm here again?

        Steven craned his neck up to the clouds, and reacted with surprise when the view complied.