Masquerade

"Pink Diamond?"

        The Gem in question hurriedly checked herself before taking a seat in her palanquin.

        "Yes?"

        A Hessonite entered and saluted. "The Nephrite fleet has landed. They are all positioned in strategic areas, as you requested."

        The Pink Diamond nodded, fiddling anxiously.

        "My Diamond instructed me to tell you to expect a signal from her soon."

        The former let out a shaky breath.

        "That is all," the Hessonite finished, and, saluting once more, she retreated through the curtains.

        Pink sighed in relief, visibly slumping indelicately against her throne. Since Pearl had left a few days ago, she hadn't stopped worrying. Of course, she trusted her, but if she was caught—

        It was at that moment the communications panel beeped and she turned, watching as it flashed yellow.

        Pink dragged herself from her throne and padded tiredly to the back of the palanquin, settling a gloved hand on the interface and projecting a large yellow panel into the air. Yellow Diamond's pinched face gazed down at her.

        ". . . Where is your pearl?"

        "My. . . My Pearl?" Pink stammered. "She's— picking flowers for me."

        Yellow's lip curled slightly. "That's nice. But shouldn't she be attending to you?"

        "She is," Pink lied. "I just— wanted something to look at. She's just outside."

        Yellow Diamond frowned, looking as if she were about to say something, but then broke out into a small smile. ". . . You're doing very well, Pink."

        Pink was taken aback. "I. . . I am?"

        "Yes. We all think so. You're handling your first colony remarkably well. I knew you could do it!"

        Pink smiled nervously. "Thank you. . ."

        "Just uphold your image and direct your armies and those rebels will be crushed in no time," Yellow smiled, aiming for reassuring. Her statement had the complete opposite effect. "I'm very proud of you."

        And then she was gone.

○○○

Pink Diamond was slumping against her throne, drained from yet another noble audience, when finally an ornate Pearl—her Pearl—walked through the curtains. Pink practically lit up and stood, ushering her inside.

        "How have you been holding up?" Pearl asked, and Pink felt something flutter in her chest.

        "I've been fine," she smiled. "But these audiences are getting tiring."

        Pearl gave a tight laugh. "I'm lucky I wasn't cut like you. I don't think I could handle so much attention."

        Pink only prodded her playfully. "What, you? Leader of the Rebellion?"

        Pearl batted her hand away and rolled her eyes. "Well, yes, that is a very different kind of attention."

        "And how has it been?"

        And for the first time since she had left on patrol, Pearl flashed her a wide, genuine smile. Pink felt her face flush at how beautiful it was. "It's been. . . amazing." She captured Pink's gloved hands in her own, the excitement evident in her tense grip. "A Bismuth joined us today—and a whole horde of new Gems! They want to rebel with us! We're growing stronger!"

        Pink laughed in delight. "Pearl, that is amazing!"

        "And they're all so. . . wonderful!" Pearl continued gleefully. "I think you'd love to meet them. Bismuth brought in pink Rubies, and a yellow Jade!— and, in a few weeks, Yellow will be holding an audience at the Sky Arena. Bismuth can make us weapons! I've already asked her for a few."

        "A few?" Pink gave her a mischievous smile. "Just how many Gems are we talking about?"

        "Oh, just us." The smaller Gem gave her a playful nudge. "Everyone else already has weapons—but I've commissioned something beautiful for you. A sword of your very own!"

        "You have?" Pink practically glowed. "My own sword?"

        "That way you won't have to rely on your Diamond abilities to fight," Pearl explained, and Pink nodded. She couldn't take her eyes away from Pearl's blue ones—they sparkled in delight, and Pink thought she would let herself get lost in them if she could.

        "Thank you," Pink breathed. "Thank you for doing this. For us. For them. I can't wait."

        With a small smile, Pearl pushed up, pulling Pink down by her hands and pressing their lips together. It was soft, and sweet, and far too quick for Pink's liking. She almost whined when Pearl pulled away again.

        "Come with me," Pearl whispered. "Come see them. It will only be for a couple of days—Blue and Yellow won't notice."

        The pleasant haze was driven from her mind at the mention of the older Diamonds. "But— they've been checking in on me! What if they call and I don't answer?"

        "We'll just have to send a message," Pearl replied, and let go of her hands, strolling to the communications panel and tapping, swiping and dragging symbols around for a moment before there was a chime. She turned and smiled at Pink. "Done."

        Pink could only watch in awe as Pearl skipped forward, taking her hand again and pulling her forward. She barely had the presence of mind to shrink down into her Quartz form before the burst out into the night air, Pearl's clothes shifting into a combat uniform before her eyes before she stopped and turned to face her seriously.

        "When we finally save the Earth, it will be just you and me, together."

        Pink-as-Rose felt light-headed. "Together?"

        "Forever," Pearl promised.

        "I couldn't wish for anything more," she whispered, and kissed her again before she was pulled off through the trees and away from her Diamond palanquin.