1x11

We're Gonna Need A Spotlight

(4800 words)

    I grumbled against my pillow when Hope tried, and failed, to wake me early one morning.

  ---

     "So, do you know what the monster is?" Landon questioned me from where he sat on a couch.

 I shook my head and swallowed a bit of my breakfast burrito I swiped from the Grand Hall. "No. If it was anything too serious, Hope would've probably broken down by door to drag me to it by my hair."

     "Morning, little brother," Hope exclaimed with a smile as she approached us. Her eyes on me. She then shifted her attention to her boyfriend. "Hey, Handsome." She plopped down on the couch and set her arm on his shoulder. Her gaze glanced to Rafael. "Handsomes." Hope hummed when she saw the beignet in Landon's hand. She took it, pinching off pieces to eat. "Sweet, sweet carbs."

     My brows furrowed as I stared at my sister. What the hell?

     "Somebody's in a really good mood." Rafael voiced, holding his own expression of confusion.

     Hope shrugged and gave the pasty back to the boy at her side. "Just woke up on the right side of the bed, I guess," she said, slipping her backpack from her shoulders.

     I scoffed. "For the first time in your entire life."

     Hope laughed with a bright smile. "You're so funny, little brother."

     I leaned back into my chair.

     "Good morning, Rafael."

     I looked over to find the Saltzman twins stood at the edge of their little area. Lizzie smiled as she greeted the Waithe boy. Another odd sight.

     Rafael produced a tight grin in return. "Hi. Uh, how was your – your trip?"

     "Excellent," Josie said. "Thank you." She turned to the couch and said, "and welcome back, Landon."

     "Didn't you vote me out?" Landon replied.

     I rolled my eyes. Oh, what a glorious morning.

     "That's all in the past," Lizzie told the Kirby boy, before she glanced around at us all. "Now, is everyone as excited as I am about tonight?"

     My annoyance deepened at the reminder. "Oh, no," I muttered lowly.

     "What's happening tonight?" Landon asked, looking from Lizzie to Hope.