Chapter 4 Emmanuel Alvarez

Becky snored as loud as a growling lion that I had to wake up. I slowly got up and when I looked over at her I saw that she was lying down on her stomach with her arms and legs spread widely over the bed – leaving me with little to no space. I tried to go back to sleep, I even covered my head with my pillow to block her snoring, but once Becky kicked me in the back I knew that sleeping was not an option anymore.

I got up and went out of the room and slowly crept down the wooden staircase. The reason why I crept was that I didn't want to wake anyone up at this time in the morning, and because the stairs were really squeaky. I walked down the hall and the cold floor pinched a sharp pain into my bare feet.

'I wish I had some warm clothes.' I thought to myself. The dress didn't help much with the warmth but it was clean clothes, and I couldn't ask for more. In the kitchen, I took the cup that I drank out of earlier and poured some water in it. I finished the water in just a few seconds because I was still thirsty from the long walk. I put the cup back into the sink, and just stood there for a moment, taking everything in. Who knows how much longer we have to go before we meet Emmanuel . . . hell, who knows if we would even find him because we didn't even have his address or any form of identification. We only knew that he lived in Estancia.

My mind wandered to the thought of my mother. I knew that we didn't have the perfect mother-daughter relationship, but I missed her and I wondered if she missed me too – because after all I was still her daughter. Logan had said that she was safe – but what if the people that were looking for us decided to kill or kidnap her just to get to me? I had to know that she was safe, so I headed to the telephone that hung in the hallway.

I hesitated for a moment, and then I looked at the antique wooden clock in the far left corner of the hall. It read 6am, so I knew that my mother had to be awake by now. My mother usually got up this early for work, so I dialled the number that I had imprinted in my brain for situations such as emergencies, and on the third ring I heard someone pick up the other line and answer.

"Hello?" I heard the familiar voice of my mothers ask. Her voice sounded stern and tired as usual, but it still ran a sad relief feeling through me. The sound of her voice made me realise how much I've missed her. Nobody could ever understand how I loved her so much, but the real question was how could she love me this much even though I was a monster? Did she know of this? Was that why she was trying to protect me from the world?

"Hey Momma, it's me. I just wanted to -."

"Look if this is some kind of joke or prank call, I swear I will call the police. This is the fifth time this week." She cut me off. "If this is Johnny from across the street I am going to go over there and slap you or pull you over my lap you piece of -."

"No Momma this isn't Johnny. It's me, Christina." I cut her off.

"Oh well sorry, but do I know you?" she asked.

"Yes of course you do. Momma, it's me, your daughter." I said and I let out a gush of laughter. My mother wasn't the joking type, and hearing her make that joke just baffled me.

"Well sorry but I don't have a daughter, never have. Look, I think you have the wrong number." she said calmly and I felt a deep confusion bubble inside of me. Had I dialled the wrong number? No, I was pretty sure that I was talking to my mother.

"Oh, sorry ma'am, what's your name?" I asked and there was a long pause. I cleared my throat and she replied.

"Anna. Look Christina, I have things to do so next time just dial the right number okay?" she said and I felt my world swirl around me. This was definitely my mother, but still she said that she had no daughter, never had and she didn't even respond to my name. The name that she specifically gave me.