Chapter 10 The beginning of the ending

The Beginning Of The End

I opened my eyes and after two minutes of having them closed I finally got the courage to look at my father's coffin. I was at his funeral – oddly enough. I was the only one here besides a few people who knew him and Clarita. It's strange that now that the man is dead how many people show up to his funeral, but when he was alive and rich how many people pretended to be his friend. I felt kind of sorry for him, because he died at the hands of Emelia. She was like the female Hitler, and nobody deserved to die like that.

I looked at his coffin. It was closed, because we all said we didn't want an open coffin. I saw his body that night with Emelia, and I never wanted to see it again. I hoped that wherever he was that he was at least peaceful and not like one of those souls that gets stuck in Shadow City. I smiled at the odds of that happening. His whole life all he wanted was to get access to Shadow City, and now he might even have.

I didn't like him much while he was alive, and I still didn't like him, but I felt sad because of his death. I felt a single tear run down my cheek and I rubbed it off with the back of my hand. I took a deep breath and went forward. I placed my hand on his coffin and closed my eyes.

"I will get your revenge . . . father." I whispered at it as if he was in there listening to me. Even though I was still bruised and beaten to the pulp, with three cracked ribs, a concussion, a deep cut in my leg and one broken arm and a lot of blue and purple spots all over my body, I was motivated to get Emelia back for what she did. She killed my own father and her own. If anyone could kill him it should've been me, because at least I would've done it for a better cause. He wasn't in her way, but just because he stood up to her she killed the man who raised her and looked after her all these years. He treated her better than he treated me, and that had to mean that he loved her. It was my duty to get revenge on behalf of him, and on behalf of myself.

I ran my fingers over the smooth and polished wood of his coffin. I don't know who planned his funeral but whoever had it did done, did a very good job. There were flowers and everything, and it wasn't inside a church or anything but it was outside in the graveyard. There was even a pastor who gave a speech and a nice prayer for his soul. If only they knew that he didn't have a soul.

I heard the sound of thunder and I could smell the rain. That would make this depressing day even more depressing if it rained now. I opened my eyes and I saw that everyone was waiting for me to step away so that they can put him in his final resting place: the ground. I realised that at the end of the day no matter how big or small difference we made in the world we all would end up in a pit in the ground – and even those who gets cremated goes back to the ground when their ashes are thrown into the air. I felt a rain drop fall down on my forehead, and then my nose and then on my feet. I stared at the coffin as they lowered my dead father into the ground, and by the time that they were done rain was pouring down on us all and the thunder roared and the lightning struck the air.

The coffin was down in the round, but I couldn't look away. I could see the two men throwing sand into the hole as fast as they could because the rain had made everything wet and they were soaking wet as well. I sniffed, but I continued to stare. I didn't run away because it was raining. I had to stay here for my father until the very end because that's the least that I could do for now. I hugged my arm that was in the bandage closer. All I wore today was a single black dress and black ballet pumps that I borrowed from Becky. My hair was French braided, and I didn't even wear any makeup – not that I ever did.

My legs had bruises on and my face was a little bit swollen and purple, and some people probably wondered if I was supposed to be out of bed but I made Becky book me out of that crappy hospital as soon as I woke up, and when the doctor said no I escaped late one night. I was so surprised at the nurses though; because they thought I was going for a smoke break outside (I told them that I was a smoker). They really didn't care because they caught their regular late night episode of Days of our Lives. Becky was supposed to have the same injuries as me since we had mentally bonded, but she didn't. I had the scratches from her fall but none of my injuries were passed onto her. I think I secretly knew that Logan healed her but I didn't want to bring it up.