Chapter 5 Finding Home

"Get up! Get up! Get up!" I heard Em yell and he was ringing a loud bell. I grunted and when I opened my eyes I saw that it was still completely dark outside. I grunted and I got up. Em was still yelling at us to get up and he continued to ring his bel, the awful sound ringing in my ears. I slumped towards the door and when I opened it I was blinded by the light of the low-hanging roof. Moments later Becky opened her door and she had the same expression as I had. "Good you're up."

"How late is it?" Becky yawned and Em looked at his watch. I rubbed my eyes and let out a soft groan. I was exhausted. I wasn't prepared for this. Who really woke up this early?

"Its four thirty-three. You're three minutes late." He said and I felt him push something into my arms. When I looked down at it I saw blue overalls and when I looked at Becky she also had a pair of them pushed into her arms. "Put those on. I'll see you in the kitchen."

I went back into my room and took off the dress and put on the overalls. I felt comfortable now that I was in something that actually had legs. I tied my hair into a high ponytail and headed downstairs to the kitchen. When I got there, I saw a whole table full of food – breakfast mostly – and Em and Becky were already sitting at it. I took a seat and Em started to dish up scrambled eggs for himself.

"You have to eat while you can, because hard work makes you hungry and there won't be time to eat again." He said and I gulped. I wasn't hungry, but I still took a few pieces of bacon just to get some food into my system. Becky loaded her plate with everything that was on the table and ate away. An hour and a half later after we've helped washing the dishes, Em walked us out towards the stables. Two other guys had already led the horses out to graze, and I could smell the strong odour of the horse manure coming from the stables. In front of the stable was a big tractor and a slinger. We walked into the stable, with both our noses pinched closed, and Em handed us both a shovel. He was obviously used to this by now.

"We're going to scoop poop." Becky whispered at me and I nodded. I knew that, because it was obvious enough. Why else would he handle us a shovel an push us into a room filled with manure.

"Okay girls. I want you to scoop all the manure into the Bobcat. That in front there is the slinger, and you're going to throw the manure onto that and when you're all done I want you to reverse the tractor just a little bit but be careful, you don't want to knock over the water barrels." Em said and he walked away. I looked around us – the stables were kind of big and I could see piles of horse manure waiting for us to be scooped up in each of the stalls. I took a deep breath and walked over to the first pile. I stuck my shovel into the manure, held my breath and picked it up. I hardly got to the Bobcat before my arms went weak and I let the shovel and of the dark-brown manure fall onto the ground. Becky laughed and I glared at her and picked it up and threw it into the Bobcat. It was heavy, and my arms were not built for this at all.

Becky scooped her manure onto the shovel and ran towards the Bobcat quickly and threw it onto the slinger. She let out a loud cheer and I shook my head. I scooped more manure and threw it onto the slinger. I felt like I was scooping and throwing forever but I didn't see the difference in the piles. It was like the more we dug the more the manure got. My arms hurt and my hands burned, and surprisingly so did my throat. I wish I had some gloves and some water. Ridley came by later on in the day when the sun was high up and I was sweating like a pig. She gave us each a bottle of water and a glass of orange juice. I drank it up as fast as I could and thanked her. She glared at Becky and walked away. Becky moaned a lot, saying that this was abuse and no human should go through this torture, all dramatically. I just rolled my eyes and scooped on. The faster I could get this done, the better.

When we were done, the sun had set already and they brought the horses back to the stables. We went back into the house. I was exhausted, my hands were burning and I was as hungry as a fox. There was a big meal set on the table – chicken and potatoes and a bunch of vegetables and I dug in. Em wasn't kidding when he said that we should eat while we could.