Chapter 6 Meeting the family

Meeting the family

I woke up to the sound of screaming. I sat upright in my bed and I could hear the sounds coming from downstairs, and it sounded like Ridley. She sounded terrified. I shot up out of my bed and quickly ran to Becky's room where I found her sitting upright as well. She gave me one look, and knew that we had to go see what was going on. I dashed out of her room and ran downstairs with Becky just a few steps behind me. I reached the end of the hallway and when I tried to switch on the light it didn't go on. I tried again, but nothing happened. Someone must've cut the power line.

I looked at Becky and signalled at her to go to the living room and she nodded. I couldn't hear Ridley scream anymore, and I had no idea where Em was but I could feel in the air that something was wrong. I walked softly towards the kitchen where I found no-one and as soon as I turned around I felt a hard hit to my head and someone pulling a bag over my face.

I slumped back into the person's arms and I could feel the whole world spinning. This couldn't be happening. Things like this only happened in the movies! I felt someone lift me up and throw me over their shoulders, and for some reason I couldn't move. Not because I didn't know what to do but I really couldn't move even though I tried to move my body. I was like a bag of jelly.

My whole body was numb and I couldn't do anything. I tried to tell Becky through my mind that she had to come help me, but the hit to my head was so hard that I couldn't think or concentrate. I could feel the person moving. They held their me tight and before I knew it the person stopped. I felt a slight burst of air and something that felt like an elevator stopping – that up and down motion – and then stopping again. I could feel the person lowering me and then putting me down gently on something soft and silky. I still couldn't move, and I couldn't see anything because the bag or whatever it was still covered my whole face. I could smell something though. Wherever I was smelt like lavender. I opened my mouth to speak but all that came out were scrabbled words. I tried again but nothing worked. I couldn't move, couldn't speak and couldn't see, but I could smell . . . this was turning out really terrific.

I felt a firm hand lift me up and put me upright against something soft, almost like a pillow and then softly pulling the bag off of my head. I opened my eyes and when I looked around I saw that I was in a really big bedroom and everything was purple. The floor, the roof and even the drapes were a dark purple colour. I've never liked the colour purple very much, and maybe it was because when I was a small kid my mother forced me to eat beetroot. I looked at the person who was in the room with me. He had his back to me but I could see him pouring water into a glass. I shifted up the bed and I tried to remain calm. The guy turned around and when I saw who it was I felt my heart drop. It was the lost stranger.

I guess I knew deep inside that this was going to cause trouble and that he wasn't just some stranger who got lost, but a part of me wanted to believe that not all things were bad just because it seemed that way. He sat down at the foot of the bed and handed me the drink which I didn't take. I hugged my legs against my chest and tried not to look at him. He lowered the cup down onto his lap and stared down into it. I felt my face tighten up and I looked at him full of hatred.

"Where am I?" I asked shakily yet sternly, and he looked up. I couldn't help but look at his eyes which were full of guilt.

"You're home. We've brought you home. Please drink something." He said and I felt nausea fill up my throat by the sound of his words. This wasn't my home, and neither would it ever be. I took the glass of water and turned it around in my hands. I haven't heard anything from Becky yet and that scared me. It was like she was just gone. I didn't want anything to happen to any of the people back at Em's house and by the sound of Ridley's scream, I knew they did something to them.