Chapter 9 The Collision

The Collision

The next morning, I rushed downstairs as soon as I woke up to find William. I had to tell him what my decision was. Now that I had the motivation to take down Seth and his whole operation I had to find out where we would go from here. I couldn't find him downstairs but when I found James I knew that he would know. The bodyguards always knew almost everything, except the important things like their leader was a crook.

"Hey James! I'm so glad to see you this fine morning, so tell me where is William?" I asked in a sudden burst of cheerfulness. James cleared his throat and stood upright.

"You look cheerful Ms. Edgar. He should be in the whine cellar." James said and I smiled at him.

"Well the sun is shining." I said and he shook his head. I looked out of the kitchen window and I saw that it was raining, and suddenly I felt truly stupid. "That was a joke. You should learn to laugh." I lied.

"I try my best Ms. Edgar." James said and I grabbed the newspaper that was on the counter. I went out the back door and out towards the garage where the entryway to the underground wine cellar was. I should've gone through the front door because I was soaking wet, and when I walked down the wooden stairs of the cellar I almost slipped and fell. I walked past a few barrels when I saw William near an easel, and he was busy painting. I walked a bit slower and softer, because he was so concentrated that I didn't want to disturb him. He looked so focused and so at ease that I kind of just wanted to turn around and come back another time. I came a little bit closer and I saw that he was painting a dark tree that had thorns and twines of leaf's surrounding its branches, but the tree split into two directions. One direction looked beautiful and majestic for the tree was alive and vivacious, and the other one looked dark and unwelcome for the tree was dead and dangerous.

"You shouldn't sneak up on a person like that." William said and he threw his paintbrush into his water bowl, and he wiped off his hands and turned around to face me. His shirt was full of paint, and I think he was in here all night working on that painting.

"Sorry I didn't mean to stop you. You're really good at painting." I said and he smiled at me. I placed the soaked newspaper on top of one of the barrels and moved closer to the painting and looked back and forth between him and the painting. I didn't even know that he painted. to think of it, I haven't known much about him only since recently.

"Thanks. Here." He said and he handed me a towel. I completely forgot that I was still wet so I took it and started drying myself off, still not taking my eyes off from the painting.

"What is the meaning?" I asked and he turned and observed it. He pointed at the tree.

"Well in nature a tree grows into a certain path, and this tree will either grow in one of these ways, but in whichever direction it goes there will be a different outcome." He said and he pointed at the dark side. "This side will make it grow faster, but it will grow ugly and mean, and this side where the tree is growing, well it will take longer for it to grow, but the destination will be worth it."

"This is like the choice everyone makes in their lives at some point. You can either choose to be good or you can choose to be evil." I said and he snorted.

"Yes, but remember that there's good in evil, and there's evil in good." William said and I stared at him in amusement. That was such a contradictory sentence. "So why did you come out here? It can't be because you wanted to see a painting."

"I made a decision, and I'm pretty sure you know what it is." I said and he got a little more serious. I hung the towel over the chair that was next to the table and I leaned against it. "I've decided to take down my father and shut down his whole scheme."