x 02 ~ hey, princess. miss me? || todoroki

Todoroki was having a crappy day as it was before the phone call. It had started with him being late to his nine a.m class because the girl he brought home for a one night stand had turned out to be all types of crazy and had monster grip strength that she used to latch onto his arm with. He had only narrowly escaped her when he ran into his second annoyance of the day.

Annoyance as in he ran into Natalie. God, he and Natalie kind of dated, like, a year ago and she's the reason he stopped dating in the first place in favor of one night stands with no strings attached. Why he had run into her right outside the boy's dormitory was beyond him and frankly, he didn't actually care. He had just wanted to gt to class on time and not be stopped by a hundred people along the way so they could call him a dick. Yeah, he knew. He was a deplorable, soulless, douchebag. None of this surprised him.

And then by the time he acutally made it to class, he was fifteen minutes late and getting a talking to from his professor the moment he stepped through the door. It was something Todoroki was used to. He wasn't what one would call a 'good student.' He was incredibly intelligent. In fact, he had gotten a full-ride scholarship to Harvard and Princeton before he decided on going with the school that had a better football program. But he barely listened in class, preferring to grip about it with his teammates. It was a wonder that he maintained an A average. 

But that wasn't even the bad part of his day. What he didn't know when he stepped out of the lecture hall into the pristine halls of the chem-e building was that his day was about to go downhill at an alarming rate.

His phone rang as he peeled away from his friend group and opted for the privacy of a small alcove in the hallway. People passed him but no one paid much mind to the boy standing in the shadows, only illuminated by the blue light of his phone. 

"Hello?" He answered the call monotonously. He had a bad habit of just accepting a call without checking the caller ID. Sure it wasn't a good thing, but Todoroki lived a fast-paced existence and he didn't have time to be agonizing over whether or not he should take the call based on who it was. His security software already filtered out spam callers and if he didn't like the person on the other end, the simple answer was just to hang up entirely. 

"Shouto," Todoroki inwardly groaned as his father's voice rang through the speaker of the phone. He and his dad had never been on the best of terms even in their best years what with the youngest Todoroki always aspiring to dreams his dad didn't agree with. So, when he got to go to college far far away from his family, it was a godsend for the boy. 

"Dad, I told you not to call me unless-"

"It's about your mother, Shouto," The dual eyed boy's mouth fell closed, his words lodging themselves in his throat as his lips pressed into a thin line. He didn't know how to respond to that so he just waited for his father to tell him whatever had been important enough to call him about. "She's in the hospital."

Todoroki's heartrate had increased dramatically and his blood was pumping in his ears as he almost dropped the phone. His hands grew shaky and those damned water droplets began to well up behind his eyes once again. God, he hated crying. All he could do was try and keep his voice from shaking too as he said, "Again?"

"They're keeping her under watch currently...they don't know when she's expected to recover," He resented how matter-of-fact his father was being about this. Of course, Todoroki couldn't really blame him because he was the exact same way, he had learned it from his father after all. But something about the flatness of his voice caused the boy's jaw to tighten. 

"When can I see her?" Todoroki lived hundreds of miles away from his parents, specifically for the reason that he couldn't handle his family's endless supply of drama, but for his mother, he was willing to make the flight and even trap himself in that stone-cold household once again. He was going to be there for her because no one had ever been there for him.

"They say a month and a half at least. But they may extend it. Doctor Jaden doesn't want to risk her catching something. Even a cold could wreak havoc on her immune system," Todoroki nodded silently at his father's words even though he knew he couldn't see him. It was more of a reflex than anything else. 

"Okay," Todoroki said, focusing intently on the hem of his black t-shirt. It was a hell of a lot better than focusing on the situation at hand. He had spent his whole life trying to escape this particualr situation and he wasn't goign to stop now. He could be there for his family but as soon as he wasn't needed anymore he would be on the first plane out of there. "Call me if anything changes." 

"I will." 

Todoroki didn't hesitate to hang up because he knew that was the end of the conversation and he wasn't going to wait around in awkwar silence because neither of them wanted to go first. That was something he did with people he acutally cared about. He and his father never said goodbyes. They never spared each other pleasantries. And the last time Todoroki had actually told his father he loved him was when he was five. 

The dual-haired boy let his head fall against the wall and shut his eyes as he fought back the emotions clawing at his chest. God, why couldn't his life be as simple as everyone thought it was. Everyone thought he was just some star football player with amazing grades and even better looks who got any girl he wanted and lived in a perfect bubble of euphoria. Why couldn't he be that guy? Would it be so wrong for something to be simple?

...

It was twelve o one as Todoroki stood contemplatively outside dorm number three on right. The golden three was placed neatly in the center of the nondescript white door and from it hung a small sign that read, "Momo" in impeccably neat handwriting. He had neglected to notice it before but now it stuck out to him. 

He acutally spent quite a while there, waiting for his usual confidence around women to kick in and silently wondering whether this had been a bad idea before the door suddenly opened to reveal Momo in all her sleep dazed glory.

She was adorable with sleep clouded eyes, her silky raven hair slightly messed up. And the way her full lips drooped to form a tired pout upon seeing him brought a light blush to his cheeks and a smirk to his lips (thank god for the surrounding darkness). 

Of course, however distracting she was as she was wrapped in her fuzzy blanket, Todoroki had come here for a reason, so he just leaned against her door frame with his hands in his pockets and said, "Hey, Princess. Miss me?" 

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

a/n ~ thanks for reading!

word count: 1243