x 03 ~ running from reality || momo

Momo was laying on her stomach across the fluffy white rug that covered a portion of her hardwood floor. She had gotten lucky and got her own room because everyone thought room three was cursed and her former roommate would rather have to share a room with two other girls than stay in a room that was supposedly haunted, which meant Momo got the place all to herself.

Her bare toes fiddled with the handles on her bedside table as she mulled over er next move. She was still confused as to why he had come back. She liked that he had if she was being honest with herself, because this mystery man had had her on edge for the past week, but it still thoroughly confused her. Why would Mister Perfect come back to play Uno with her?

Momo was a psychology student so she knew there had to be a reason that he was coming back. There couldn't be anything so important about her personally because she was just a girl who played a damn good game of Uno, which meant there was some outside force that brought him back to her. And her mind couldn't let go of the idea of this man sitting in front of her. He was an absolute enigma and she had no idea what it was about him that her mind was so addicted to. Sure, he was attractive, he was very attractive, but there was something about the mystery surrounding him that made Momo think of him as a puzzle she just had to solve.

"Why did you come back?" She decided on a direct approach as she placed down a red two over his red three. His expression barely changed but his eyes did for sure. He looked from his cards to her, as if studying her in her entirety and trying to decide whether or not to open up to her. She knew she had already lost him when a light smirk graced his handsome features. Damn. She was going to have to try a different tactic if she planned to get anything out of this lock-box of a man.

"Why do you think I came back, Princess?" His tongue peeked out between his lips to wet them and she could tell he was suppressing a genuine smile, or at least trying to. If she didn't know better, she would think that he actually liked teasing her.

"Don't call me Princess," Her eyes followed his hands as he placed a red five on the ever-growing stack of cards between them. It wasn't that she particularly had anything against the name, but it was so intimate, and until he opened up to her, he didn't get to call her a princess. Plus, she didn't deserve a title like that. If she was a princess then why had her parents... He interrupted her thoughts with his smooth voice.

"Why, you don't like someone thinking you're a princess?" He asked with a sly smile. Momo didn't know how to answer that question. Her eyes studied every detail of his features as if the answer was somewhere in his eyes. His question meant too many things all at once and she didn't know which one to start with. First of all, he thought she was a princess? Why did he think that? Is that why he came back? But more importantly, why would he ask her such an intimate question? Was she overthinking this?

"You think I'm a princess?" She decided that if he was going to be closed off with her, two could play at that game. She watched with stark interest as a light blush tinted his cheeks, his heterochromatic eyes widened, and his perfect lips parted ever so slightly to show the smallest amount of shock Momo had ever seen. It was beautiful and she felt thoroughly satisfied with the reaction she had pulled from him.

After a moment of silence that Momo had expected, she decided to try again at getting more from him. "You're not really here because of me, are you?" She chewed on her full bottom lip as she placed down her last red card which was a seven, pretending that her mind was on the game and not him.

"Why would you think that?" He placed down a wild card. "Yellow."

"You look like someone who's running from something. Why else would you bother to sneak into the girl's dorm room and track me down just to play a game of Uno?" She was satisfied with her diagnosis as she placed down a yellow one. She knew that she was probably playing right into hands with her move, but her mind was far from the strategy of the game and more interested in the art of getting him to talk.

"Maybe I just like Uno," He answered simply, placing down a yellow skip turn card followed up swiftly by a draw four. Momo sighed defeatedly, knowing that she had completely let her guard slip in favor of trying to solve him.

"That's not it," She said, plucking four cards from the top of the deck. "You're very good at avoiding questions but you would be surprised how much you give away with your body language," It was actually just bullshit because he was annoyingly good at a poker face, but if he believed her she was definitely on top of the situation.

"Green. Okay, so tell me what exactly it is you think I'm running from," He said smoothly as he put down a green three and waited for her to make her next move.

"Reality. If I had to guess. Everyone is running from reality because it's the worst thing about the world we live in. The fact that we can change a lot of things but not everything is within our control," She placed down a draw four of her own and gave him a sympathetic smile. "The only thing I don't know is what your reality is."

They played the rest of the game in silence, each thinking about the other's words. Momo knew from his expression that something inside him was stirring and she was sure it was because of her, but she just didn't know how to coax it out of him. If anything, she had simultaneously made progress and gone back three steps. But she wasn't ready to let go of the idea of him just yet because he was too intriguing. His words, his eyes, the slight smirk he got at the strangest times, they were all so shrouded in mystery that it lit Momo's investigative tendencies on fire. And to be fair, he had started it. If he hadn't come back, she wouldn't be trying to figure him out. If he had just let one strange night of midnight Uno be a one-off, they'd both be going about their respective lives right now. But now they were stuck in this moment.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

a/n ~ thanks for reading!

word count: 1163