Chapter 04

"Hey, leave me!" It was Rizlan. He told that to me because I hugged him as soon as he came to the court.

"Is this the way you reply for my salam?"

"Okay, walaikum salaam warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu! But I owe you alot. You have no idea what a big favor you did to me. I don't even know how to repay." I said.

"Allah!" He face palmed. "I just did it as a friend. You're making me feel like an outsider. "

"Thank you so much dude!" I thanked him.

"Waiyyak."

Here we go!

"Okay, I'm sorry, jazakallahu khair." How did I even forget that?

"Waiyyak again." He said again, laughing.

"I wanna ask you something, Rizlan."

"Hmm...?"

"Why didn't you tell me that your mother passed away?" I asked and he looked up at me with wide eyes.

"How-How do you know?" He stuttered.

Does that mean that he didn't have an idea of telling me?

"Why? Is that a secret? Shouldn't I know as a friend? I thought you consider me a friend."

I did feel a bit hurt because I never had friends on my own back in Sri Lanka. I wasn't a person to socialize. These are the ones whom I've ever become close to. I thought that friends are supposed to share and care.

"It's not like that." He kept his hand on mine. "Listen, I do consider you more than a friend. That'll never change. You all are the best so far. The reason I didn't tell about ammi was..." He trailed off.

"You don't have to tell if you don't want to." I took my hand from his hold and placed it on his shoulder. He shook his head and his hair danced.

That made me a bit jealous!

"Let me speak Aaryan. I do want to tell this." He settled himself more comfortably as if he's gonna say a long tale.

"My mother was the kindest woman on earth I've ever seen. She was also beautiful." He stared up at the sky.

I think he is picturing her.

"I was very close to her than to Abu. Abu was always busy with his work. He had to travel around the world for his branches, so he hardly spent time with us. Ammi was the one who looked after us. She wasn't a busy person as we had servants for everything. We were always together.

I remember once, when I broke my hand, she was worried for me. She did almost everything to me. She changed my dress, she took me out and she..." He stopped. His voice was becoming hoarse and his eyes were red with tears.

I gave him a nod and he smiled.

"My father suddenly came one day when I was 17 and he told me and Minza that he's taking Ammi to Canada. We too wanted to go with her but we had our studies to complete.

Leaving us alone with all the servants and the staff, they went to Canada. Ammi called and spoke to us everyday but we missed her a lot. It wasn't easier without her. There were days which I cried alone at the room.

After few months, we did not get any calls or texts from her and we were scared. Abu then called and told that she was sick. I was a grown-up, so I should act like one. I kept consoling Minza. I busied myself to avert my mind. But I couldn't do it for long...

Abu called me again when I was at the college and... and he told me that 'she's no more'. I did know what he meant but I did not want to believe it. He was crying over the phone. I thought that everything was over..." He again stopped and wiped his face.