Secret admirer pt.1

Y/F/N = your friend's name

Y/L/N = your last name

****

"See you tomorrow, Y/N!"

"See you tomorrow Y/F/N!"

You watch as Y/F/N disappears at the corner of the street, then let out a long, heavy sigh. You know exactly what's waiting for you when you'll get home, and you're not in the mood to face it. 

Groaning, you drag yourself back to your small apartment. The cheapest you could find - on the fifth floor of a building on the outskirts of London, not too far from the school you go to. Going to a foreign country for college required many sacrifices and efforts, and one of them is paying the bills on your own. 

As you enter the building's hallway, you grab the pile of envelopes stacking up inside the mailbox. Then you notice the paper taped to the elevator doors - Out of service. Amazing. Just when your day couldn't get any more depressing. 

You slowly start ascending the stairway, your legs weighing tons. These past few days, you had to work extra hours, late in the night at the fast-food, to make up enough money for the goddamn bills. 

Once inside your apartment, you collapse on the couch and breathe in deeply, before taking a look at the envelopes. Mostly adds, a late rent warning from a week ago, and... another letter from the rent? Frowning, you tear it open. 

"What the hell..." you mutter. 

Apparently, the landlord received this month's rent money - which you never sent! A thought crosses your mind but vanishes almost immediately. No, your parents could not have paid the rent for you - you never even told them about your money problems in the first place, to not worry them. But then, who? Y/F/N? No, she would've told you about it.

Then your eyes fall on one last envelope, hidden under the pile of ads. You reach towards it. Y/N Y/L/N is written in neat handwriting on it, but there's no address at the back. Who could that be? You pull a letter out of it. 

Dear Y/N,

My name is Thomas.

Before anything, I apologize if I sound like a stalker. I did stalk you but there weren't any bad intentions behind it. 

I saw you for the first time while you were working at the fast food. You won't remember me - I'm just a customer among others. I was blown away by your radiant beauty and I followed you home that night. Sorry.

A few nights ago I overheard you speaking with your boss about doing extra work hours to pay the rent. I wanted to help, so I paid it for you. Which is why you'll probably receive a letter from the landlord about the receipt. 

I would love for us to meet "for real" again. I left my phone number at the back of the paper. If you don't want to, it's perfectly fine. I understand and I won't bother you anymore.

Yours truly,

Thomas   

It takes you a few minutes to fully absorb anything. Then you start laughing nervously. A secret admirer! You have a secret admirer! 

Who followed you home -

Your curiosity is piqued, and you're tempted to call the number at the back of the letter, but at the same time, you can't help thinking that this might be someone with bad intentions. After all, he did stalk you...

Well, he can't have bad intentions if he actually paid your rent, can he? But maybe he's doing that so that you trust him?

After a few seconds, you grab your phone and dial the number - then at the last moment, decide to send a text instead. 

Hi, this is Y/N.

I just read your letter. 

You don't really know how to say this and decide to wait for his answer. Fortunately, he texts back almost immediately:

Hello Y/N. So do I sound like a stalker?

You are a stalker. You followed me back home.

Anyway, I'd like to meet you. You sound like 

a nice guy. 

Tomorrow 2 pm at Queen Park. Don't be late.

Ok.

You just stare at your phone for a second, before realizing that you did all the texting and that there's no way that you can know if this Thomas guy is really trustable or not. 

Oh well! Whatever, you think. We'll see tomorrow.