IX

- Games we Play-

Finals week was finally over, thank God, our final grades were finally posted and classes were over until next year, safe to say I passed with flying colors, senior year, here I come! I was very well on my way to my main goal, the problem is I had nothing planned for after graduation. I still had time, right?

I ran towards Logan and River's room laptop in hand, knocking before I burst through the door. "Guess who finished the semester with all A's and B's?" I set my laptop on the middle of their bed, so they could see my grades on the college website for themselves. River smiled confidently, sticking her hand out to Logan. "You owe me a hundred bucks and a date to Delancey's, the one we saw on Triple D."

I closed my laptop. "You guys bet on my grades?" I asked not believing what I was listening to. "What do I live with? Children?" I protested as Logan and River laughed, "No, we bet on the order of your grades, River said your first four classes would be A's and the rest of them B's, I said you'd get three A's and the rest B's." I shook my head. "You guys are unbelievable, my own sister rooting for my failure." I laughed at how silly my girls were. "Lo, you better pay up, 'cause momma predicted that..."

I teased, giving River a high five. I left the lovebirds be and walted back to my safe haven. Elijah called the minute I stepped into my room raving about his passing grades after he was positive that his current relationship status caused him to certainly fail. "We need to go to the carnival." He suggested as a celebration, I got excited until he mentioned he was bringing Hailey.

Elijah's relationship with Hailey was crossing the month mark, and as for me? I was barely getting by with Jax, he was truly an enigma if I ever met one, were we all friends? Yes, were Jax and I attracted to one another? Maybe. I always had the feeling he wanted more, while Elijah argued that he was leading me on, the way he'd listen, the way she'd show interest and was talkative and the times we'd been out even if his sister and Elijah tagged along—We'd never be really alone—but when I would ask why he remained single. "I'm no good for anyone Faith..." He would reply, he showed up to the carnival and according to Hailey it was only because she mentioned I was coming too, so what was the deal?

After greeting one another, Elijah, Hailey, Jax and myself walked along the sunshiny boardwalk that led to the immense carnival. This was normally a tradition between Elijah and I but either he was running out of ideas to surprise Hailey or he was severely trying to piss me off, there are some things as a best friend you just don't show other people.

"We should get funnel cake!" Hailey suggested, dragging Jax with her and dragging me out of my selfish thoughts. "Do you want one muffin?" She asked Elijah and I swore I threw up slightly in my mouth, her pet names for Elijah were so off, nevertheless, Elijah nodded and they were off.

"Muffin...?" I looked at him as he shook his head. "Stop it..." He warned. "What? I've known you three almost four years now and this is the first time you've gone whipped on me." I teased, he bumped my shoulder as he chuckled. "I am not whipped, first of all." We walked along the boardwalk not straying far from the funnel cake stand. "Oh please E, you're more whipped than the extra whipped cream I request with my hot chocolate at Starbucks."

I rebutted while he shook his head again. "I'm telling you, I'm not... Hailey's different, she's sweet, kind, definitely not for me, she just can't see it yet." He stared at me but when I returned my gaze to him, he blinked quickly glancing at the water with sad eyes. I was about to ask him what he meant when I was torn from my side by a quirky Hailey, with a funnel cake in her hand. "Let's all get on the Ferris wheel!"

She gave the fried sugar covered dessert to Elijah as she dragged me over to the Ferris wheel line. "I'll get on with muffin, you get on with Jax." As if I had another choice. I smiled at Jax who returned the smile and stood on the line behind me. "We're stuck with each other again." He pressed recalling our drive to Rooted that night back from Malibu beach. "As if you had any more appealing options." I said. We got onto the ride, strapping up carefully as the gargantuan mechanical device spun us around to get a full view of the boardwalk and the many rides, games and other amenities provided by the carnival. "Why do you always say you're not good for anyone?" I hammered. He shook his head. "Because." I shook mine in return. "That's not an answer Beckett." I said causing his jaw to severely clench and the little devil over my shoulder to cackle, it's what Elijah called him and I noticed he's not particularly fond of the nickname even though it was his last name.

"Relationships are not my forte is all, just because I like someone doesn't mean I have to skip along the daises with them." He answered, my heart sank a little bit. "But you've had official girlfriends, right?" I asked wondering if Jax was even human.

"Sure..." He said, shrugging his shoulders and focusing on the vast lighting ahead of us, I dropped the issue. "Why is it you haven't slept with anyone yet?" He rammed right into me with no warning. I almost got whiplash with how fast I looked at him. "How'd you?" I furrowed my brows. "Know that?" He finished my question. "It's written all over you Faith." He raised a brow, and my entire body was on fire despite the cool air around us. "Have you even kissed anyone yet...?"

He questioned and my fist immediately connected with his arm again. "I'm a virgin, not an alien... I've had some kisses." I smacked myself mentally at my answer, while Jax was a laughing wreck. "It's okay to be a virgin Faith, it just means you're focused on more important things and not everyone is worthy of getting into your panties."

He whispered the last bit in my ear and I was sure I was going to liquefy and slide off my seat, he noticed the red in my cheeks and smirked, I slanted my body and shoved myself away from him, hating that the small space only allowed a tiny gap to stand between us, his hands snaked around my waist pulling me towards him, He smelled good.

"Don't be a baby, I was just joking." He kissed my cheek, making me smile softly. The ride ended and his small however significant kiss burned my face. "We should go out sometime." He finally said and I was ready to do cartwheels on the boardwalk as we waited for Elijah and Hailey to get to us. "Sure, just say when." I agreed, pretending I was being nonchalant. "I'll call you." He finished, before the couple reached us.