XVIII

-Wedding Bells-

"I can't find my shoe!" I heard River yell from the second floor of our house, I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration, "If this is how lesbian weddings go, I'm so glad you're not straight Lo..." I said as I adjusted her tie.

Yup you guessed it... Logan and River were getting married today, and not only was I River's maid of honor, but I was my sister's best man too —talk about multi-tasking— "Okay, you're good, I'll be back to do your hair, I need to go find River's shoe." I turned around and kissed my sister's cheek. "I'm proud of you Lo, Dad would be proud too..." 

I left before I had the chance to cry. "Okay, okay one missing Vera Wang pump, I'm on it!" I got to River who was a mess, "Oh no, Riv..." She sobbed and I knew it was my job to hold her. "What's wrong honey?" She sniffled. "What if I forget my vows? What if Logan changes her mind?" I tried my best to wipe the tears without messing up her liner. "Hey, no, none of that! If she hasn't changed her mind in years, she won't change it now Riv, you're stuck with grouchy pants for life." I smiled making her laugh. "There she is!" I cheered her on. "Now, about your vows, just say what you feel if you forget, you know she loves you regardless of what comes out of your mouth, but... Just in case you do, I wrote them on an index card." 

I guess my solution made her much more vulnerable because she began to cry again. "I'm so happy you're my maid of honor Fae, it really means a lot to me." I winked at her as I went on a safari to find her shoe. "Here it is!  Now please keep them on your feet! I have to do Logan's hair and then I'll be back to pin yours some more okay?" She nodded and I walked out of the room for the millionth time, I took a deep breath, being in two places at once was exhausting, but I loved my girls and this was a special day. 

As I descended the stairs I thought about Jax and Elijah, how if I hadn't met Jax, Elijah would be my date, and if Jax hadn't dropped me like a bad habit he'd be my date instead. I went through my phone to find Jax's account gone, I saw the news about his father's sentencing, I knew he was probably not having a good time, and Hailey, well, Hailey would always be Hailey on her social media accounts, she was sporting a new pixie cut, a bunch of ear piercings  and all pictures of Elijah were gone. 

I furrowed my brows and shoved my phone in the pocket of my dress. "Alright let's finish this hair shall we?" I curled my sister's hair into waves and pinned them to the side, the silver accessories matched her white suit, as for River, she matched Logan entirely with a silver sparkly top and a feathered white skirt, they looked like royalty if you asked me. "Alright Lo, you know the drill. I'll drive Riv to the Biltmore, and we can get this wedding on the road!" I smiled and kissed my sister goodbye, watching her drive off, I finished River's hair and we were off to the hotel where the ceremony would be held. 

***

I was quite pleased with the seating arrangements, we had family come over all the way from New Jersey, as well as River's family who loved Logan and myself. My heart froze when I saw Elijah from where I stood, he tried his best to keep his eyes off of me for the first few seconds he saw me, he did a good job focusing on my sister and River afterward, as the minister spoke the words to begin with, soon they were asked to say their vows. Logan went first. 

"When I left my beloved New Jersey for Los Angeles, the last thing I thought was that I'd find my dream job, my dream home, and my dream girl, I expected a lot of things out of life but finding you was definitely a surprise, I vow to receive you with a smile on my face, to make sure your brush collection is never ending, to support your artwork, your soul and the God forsaken marathons of Blue Bloods you make me watch." The guests laughed, I couldn't contain my tears, she continued. "I vow to never deceive you, to keep my promises, and to never forget how much I love you, being your wife is my dream job, your loving arms are my dream home and you will always and forever be my dream girl, my first choice." 

It's safe to say there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own, yet River was up next. "Do you remember our first date? I was so nervous that night I actually broke my heel as I left my studio apartment to go meet you at your old job, which was at an old school diner on Ventura, but you looked so good in your four wheel skates I didn't really care that our first date was after your shift, that's when I knew you'd be the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with." He voice broke as she held my sister's hand. "By the time we agreed to move in, I knew I wanted to carry your last name, I vow to keep you in mind every time my hands put something on canvas, to use your beautiful smile to inspire me when I feel like I can't face the day, I vow not to hog Netflix and watch at least one episode of I Love Lucy, I vow to love you unconditionally, even if you leave the cap off the toothpaste, you're my home, and my first choice, being your wife will forever and always be an honor." 

After they exchanged their beautiful rings, they were declared Mrs. and Mrs. River and Logan Ambrosio, a flood of congratulations came their way, applause rang like thunder in the small intimate saloon, "Alright everyone, let's get to the dining hall where the reception is being held." I instructed with help of the wedding planner, they were all seated accordingly, among the food, drink and gorgeous six tier cake. 

My girls had their first dance to Mary Lambert's She Keeps Me Warm and my heart melted watching them dance, talk among themselves and kiss, my heart was full but there was something missing, I refused to listen to the call of the void, I couldn't be sad, not tonight, I took a sip of champagne and a bite of the strawberry that adorned the flute. I felt a strong presence behind me, and as I slowly turned to check if I was going insane, I smiled and knew who the extended hand asking me to dance without a word belonged to.