Chapter Four

Mew let out a frustrated groan, slamming his hand down onto his desk. The case was not going well. It was looking like the mob boss might get off scot-free. He was laying the blame squarely at the feet of his thugs, claiming that he had no idea any crime was being committed. Since he had plenty of money, likely from illegal activities, he could afford the best lawyers who were twisting everything to make it seem like the mob boss had just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Mew had been desperately been going over the evidence collected from the hotel to try and see if there was something they had missed that would help, but he had found nothing.

It was the first time he had managed to arrest this evil old guy and he was just going to get away. Mew was furious. He was angry at himself and at the mob moss and his cronies, including those rich defense attorneys. The case against the boss was basically over. Mew was also worried about Gulf. If the mob boss went free, as it looked like he was going to, then what was going to stop him from going after Gulf again?

Sighing, Mew grabbed his phone to text J. He had been keeping her informed on the case, as he had promised, but now he had to tell her that it was not going well. Guilt made his chest ache. J, Boun, and Pavel had trusted him with Gulf's safety, and he was failing.

While Mew was drowning in his emotions, J was focused. She'd known that the mob boss was not going to go away easy, but no way in hell was she going to let him go unpunished. The text from Mew was expected, she just hoped he was not beating himself too much. She forwarded the message to the others before turning back to her office wall. It was covered in information, including articles and pictures from her online research, rumours and tips gathered by chatty Boun and violent Pavel, and the results of strategic hacking by Gulf. To the others it was just a mess, but to J it was full of patterns and possibilities. And right now, J was smiling.

"Found it, asshole. You're going to regret messing with my boys."

Hours later Pavel walked into J's office with some dinner for her. He looked all around the room, spinning on the spot completely stunned. When she was planning one of their jobs, her office would become very cluttered. It was normal, it seemed to work for her. But right now, it was complete and utter chaos. There were even papers arranged on the floor. Pavel turned to J with his mouth wide open. She barely looked up from the tablet she was writing on.

"Um, maybe you should have a break for some food."

"Mmm," she hummed, continuing to tap away at the screen.

With a huff, Pavel gave up and turned to leave when, suddenly, J leapt over and grabbed his arm.

"Pavel! The video you sent me! Show me again!"

"Huh? What video?"

"The video with the, uh, the flipping and the running, and, oh, what is it called again? Ah, parkour!"

Pavel finally realised which video she meant and opened it for her on his phone. She grabbed it from him and wandered back into the mayhem. He just shook his head and left her to it.

When the doorbell rang, Pavel was the one left to answer it since Gulf was still resting, presumably typing away, Boun was out, probably chatting up a storm somewhere, and J was, well... Anyway, Pavel opened the door to Dome, and he couldn't help his grin.

"Hey Doc, what brings you round?"

"Ah, Pavel. I'm just here to check up on Gulf, " Dome answered, his smile slipping a little at the appearance of Pavel at the door, "Is Justice around?"

"Physically, yes. Mentally, not so much."

Pavel turned, walking back into the apartment, leaving Dome to follow him.