Chapter 3

Jesse's POV

I'd just come off my lunch break and was driving the buggy down to south Bondi with Harrison. Maxi was in the tower with Kerrbox.
"Hey guys there's a swimmer going under at the south end." Maxi said over the radio. Harrison had just been saying he was looking forward to getting in the water so he grabbed his board and ran in. "Jesse you need to go in as well some idiot has gone over to try and help and he's drowning her." He sounded quite distressed over the radio. At this I pulled my shirt off and ran in with a second rescue board. I paddled out to where Harrison was pulling the man onto his board. "Where is she?" I yelled.
"Who?" He said.
"The girl, he was holding her under."
"I didn't see anyone"

At this I dove into the water leaving my rescue board, not in the rules but given the fact that there was a girl drowning, it was the right decision. I swam under the waves and tried to find her, there was nothing there. My lungs were burning, my heart thudded in my ears. I came up gasping for air. Harrison was holding my board and I grabbed onto it. "She's not there." We looked at each other with pure shock in our eyes as we felt the realisation that we might have lost someone sink in. Then slowly a blonde head came up on the other side of my board. It was her, she gasped for breath and held the edge of my board. "Hey, get on the board we'll take you in." I said. She looked at me confused, I thought there might be a language barrier, so I acted it out and tried to get her on the board. I'm amazed she's still conscious let alone been able to come up to the surface. Her face looked even more confused and then she laughed, "I don't need any help getting back to shore, but thanks for the offer." She smiled before swimming back towards the shore, right against the rip. I looked at Harrison in disbelief. "She was definitely under for at least like three minutes right?" I said. He nodded slowly, "Yep she shouldn't have been conscious, let alone able to swim against the rip back to shore." I couldn't believe this British girl had managed it, it was a miracle.

Verity's POV
I held my breath as I went under to support the man. I let him stand on my shoulders as I stood on the bottom. I calmed my heart and paid attention to my lungs. I stood there until I felt him taken off my shoulders. Then I decided to sit on the floor and see how long I could take this, a test to see how good my technique was after Mexico. As I sat down I drifted slightly in the current. I felt movement to my right, but I put it down to fish or the waves. When I'd hit my limit I surfaced to find two rescue boards and lifeguards who looked like they'd seen a ghost. The one in the water tried to get me onto his board, but I didn't need rescuing. I must have looked puzzled because he then acted it out and tried to get me on it. I laughed so hard, he looked so funny trying to show me what to do. "I don't need any help getting back to shore, but thanks for the offer." I smiled and then swam back in against the rip as a final push of effort before heading home.

I got out of the water and walked over to grab my stuff as I was heading towards the ramp I heard someone shout after me. "Hey wait!" I looked behind me to see the same lifeguard running towards me. "I'm sorry, I need to go." I said before turning back and walking faster to the ramp. I couldn't get into explaining what I did, I shouldn't have done it, it was a mistake.

A/N: why was it a mistake? What's she so worried about happening? The next chapter is on its way...