Chapter 5

Verity's POV
I walked down to the cafe, it was called Lush on Bondi, it looked quirky and was in a good spot to watch the beach as it's opposite the lifeguard tower. I sat down at an outside table with a soft drink from the bar. I looked round taking in the view, I can't believe I was in Australia, it was nice not to be looking over my shoulder constantly. The salty smell of the sea wafted across from the beach and made me feel like I was on holiday rather than working. I smiled to myself before taking my book out, it was a battered copy of the James Bond novel From Russia with Love, it was one of my parents favourites and having been to Russia and making it onto their top ten most wanted list, it wasn't likely I would be returning any time soon.

I got into a routine of reading a page and flicking my eyes up to the surroundings to watch the goings on of the people of Bondi, read, flick, read, flick, read, flick ....

Jesse's POV
We'd all gotten changed after work and we're just sitting around in the apartment. "Why don't we go out for a drink?" Maxi suggested. "Yeah that could be good, where should we go." I said. "We could go to the cafe on the parade?" Harrison said. "It's almost like we live at the beach we're there on duty and off." We all laughed at my comment. "Let's go then." Maxi said as he grabbed his phone and wallet. Only Maxi could drink as he'd turned eighteen the month before, but Harrison and I still had a few more months to wait.

As we walked down to the cafe we saw Hoppo and Whippet, "hey guys where are you going?" Whippet asked. "We're just heading to the cafe on the parade, do you want to come?" I asked. "Yeah sounds good." Hoppo replied. We joked around on our way to the cafe. When we got there we walked in to get drinks and a girl sitting on her own caught my eye, she had medium length blonde hair that was covered with a sun hat as she read an old copy of a book. As she looked up I recognised her as the girl from earlier, the mermaid as Hoppo put it. I hurried inside with the others, "Guys you won't believe who's outside." "Who?" They all said. "The girl from earlier the one who should have drowned but didn't." Their faces all went into shock except Maxi's, he just started to walk back outside. "Well let's not miss her again, she's got some explaining to do, plus I want to meet the mermaid." I laughed as I followed him back out.

Verity's POV
I flicked my eyes up and saw the lifeguards from earlier and one was looking straight at me. Great, I'll have to move, I can't risk being questioned by them again. I waited until they went inside and shoved my book in my bag as I walked out. I was so busy making sure that they hadn't followed me that I didn't realise there was a group of guys in front of me. I slammed into the back of someone. I gasped and turned round, the guy turned to look at me as did his friends. They were all over six foot and did not look happy. "Hey little missy, where are you off to in such a hurry?" I noticed them start to circle behind me so I went to push past him. "Nowhere in particular." I said. He put his arm out and pushed me back into the now fully formed circle. The parade was less busy than it was a few minutes ago. I sighed as I realised what was going to happen and I felt the adrenaline begin to take effect. "I'm going to leave and you're going to let me." I said forcefully as I moved to go again. He put his arm out and grabbed my shoulder. "And why would we do that?" His mates laughed as he pushed me back into the circle. This was not in the plan.

A/N: what's going to happen? Will this be another disaster? The next chapter is on its way.