Chapter 26

Verity's POV
After my bad start to the day I was not in a great mood. I sat in the tower, cold after my early morning swim, wearing a spare jacket. I watched the water closely as the rips were merciless. I kicked my feet up on the desk and relaxed. A knock at the door interrupted me, I opened it to see a young boy crying, he looked about five years old.

I crouched down to his level, "hey what's the matter?" He looked at me, his eyes rimmed with red. "I can't find my mum." I felt for the poor kid, I know how hard feeling like you're all alone can be. "Come up here with me and we'll see if we can find her." I took the boys hand and walked him into the tower. I sat him in my chair and asked him what his mum looked like. A thoughtful expression crossed his face. "She's wearing a black swimsuit and has brown hair. She has my blue swim bag." The description wasn't much to go on, but better than nothing. I quickly scanned the beach, looking from person to person, but couldn't see anyone who looked like his mum. I put the binoculars down and turned to the kid. "Your mum will notice you're missing and come to the tower so it's best if you stay here and wait." At this point Maxi walked in and I seized the opportunity to pass over the kid. "Maxi will look after you until your mum gets here, won't you Maxi?" I gave him a glare that said that I was not going to be stuck with this kid all day. He looked at me, annoyed, but reluctantly gave in. "Yeah of course I will, do you want to see some more of the tower?" I knew he was going to be better than me at dealing with the kid, I only had so much patience.

For the rest of the morning I switched between looking at the water and the beach, still on the lookout for the boys mum. Just before lunch a panicked woman frantically knocked on the door. She told me that she'd lost her son and I gave a reassuring smile, she matched the description of the boys mum. I told her he was safe with us and Maxi reunited the pair. He sat back down next to me. "I know I'm good with kids, but you owe me for that one." He said sulkily. I grinned, "well I only have so much patience in a day and I'm pretty sure the bird took all of it this morning." He laughed and we we went back to watching the beach.

After lunch I was swapped onto the south end of the beach with Harrison. It's called backpackers for a reason and that reason was obvious, the water was full of tourists. I used the megaphone to try and direct people back to shore and away from the rip, but even using the languages I know, language barriers proved to be my worst enemy. Eventually most people were out, but two tourists remained in the water with an inflatable that they were hanging on to for dear life. The rip was dragging them out faster than they thought and I saw the moment of panic as they realised how far out they were. I knew I had to go in. I grabbed the board and paddled out, adrenaline pumping for my first rescue of the day, but it was frustrating that there were two of them, a man and a woman and they were both fairly large. I reached them quickly, using the rip to pull me out. They grabbed onto the board, but still held the inflatable. "You have to let go!" I told them. They didn't understand me properly and let go of the board. I tried all my other languages, but they were Korean I think. I groaned in frustration before pulling them both to the board and grabbing the inflatable. I chucked it as far away as possible before the jet ski turned up. Unfortunately just as it pulled up next to us the woman unexpectedly decided to pull herself up onto the board, I wasn't ready and she moved the balance of the board and along with the wave caused by the ski it caused the board to flip. I was submerged for only a few seconds before surfacing and frantically looking for the woman. Jesse was helping her onto the jet ski so I just had to paddle the man to shore. I got him on the board and we finally made it back to solid land.

I wrung my hair out as I climbed into the buggy. "Nice work out there, the surprise flip was a nice touch, keep us on our toes those tourists do." I looked at him, all cosy and dry while I was soaking wet. "Well next time it'll be you out there, I'm not taking all the glory." I looked back at the water and cursed as I noticed another group struggling out the back along with a man a bit further across. They all looked fit enough, but the sea can be merciless sometimes. I knew with four of them out there that both of us would have to go in. We grabbed our boards and paddled out. Harrison headed for the group and I went for the man. As I got closer I could see his face and my blood ran ice cold.

A/N: sorry for the late updates I've been really busy recently. The next chapter is going to be interesting and I can't wait to write it!