Chapter 9

Verity's POV
I  was stunned, I definitely didn't expect this to happen. I guess he was right though I would be a good lifeguard with all the training I had and it would be a good opportunity to be on the beach all day watching the water without anyone suspecting anything. The only issue was Mike and Sarah I had to put it past them first. "Can you give me a minute?" I asked.
"Yeah of course take as long as you want, but we'd be lucky to have you on the team." He looked genuinely happy that I was considering it.

I stepped outside and texted Mike.
V: hey mike, so I've been offered a job as a life guard at Bondi beach and I think it would be a good opportunity to be able to be at the beach all day and do things without raising any suspicion. I need an answer to tell them.

M: wow, surprised they've offered you a job, but you're right it's a good opportunity so take it for the moment and if there are any issues then we can sort that out later.

V: thank you, I'll tell them now

I walked back into the tower and went over to Hoppo, "I'd love to be a lifeguard." I immediately felt a group of people hug me and cheer. "You'll be a great lifeguard."
"You'll pass the test no problem."
"It'll be great having you around."
Hoppo got everyone to quiet down before taking me to the side and explaining how the test would work. "Tomorrow I'll meet you at the pool and you need to do 800 meters in under 13 and a half minutes," I nodded. "Then you'll have an endurance test down on the beach, if you pass that then you're officially a lifeguard. I also have to ask about school, are you dropping out? Planning  to do lifeguarding around school...?" He asked.
"I'm actually in my final year for online uni, but can you not tell anyone as it's not something I want as common knowledge?" I couldn't have people finding out about my intelligence just yet, it's not normal. He nodded, "If they ask I'll just say that you're doing online school." His answers always seemed to put me at ease, it made me feel like I could trust him, but that feeling would never last long, I was wired not to.

Jesse's POV
I came into the tower to see everyone hugging Verity and cheering I waited while Hoppo spoke to her in private before she came to walk out of the tower. "Verity, what's going on?" I asked.
"I'm going to be a lifeguard, so say hello to your new colleague." She smiled and walked past me back onto the beach. She was going to be a lifeguard, I couldn't believe it. I'm shocked that Hoppo gave in that easily, he must have really been impressed. "Did she tell you the news?" Maxi came over from the windows. "Yeah, I definitely didn't expect that." I said.
"None of us did, but having a mermaid on the team will be awesome." I laughed, he was right, having her around could be good.

The next day...
Verity's POV
Today I'm trying out to be a lifeguard, I say trying out, I'm going to pass easily. I can do anything they throw at me, I'm not worried. I meet Hoppo at the pool and get changed into my slim swimsuit, which neatly covered my wound. The chlorine smell made me feel at home, I spent so much time practising different things in the pool that even the smell makes me go into work mode. I set off at a decent pace, pull, pull, pull, breathe, pull, pull, pull, breathe. I hear Hoppo tell me that I have one lap left so I push myself harder, just that little bit extra for the sake of my own pride. I touch the wall for the final time and take a large breath. "How did I do?"
His eyes flicked up from the stopwatch then back again. "You did it in eight minutes 30 seconds." He sounded surprised, but I thought that would have been a normal score which is why I went that fast, I guess I overestimated the lifeguards abilities. "That's pretty good." I pulled myself out of the pool.
"Verity, that's an incredible time. I now have no doubt that you'll be fine in the endurance test."

Back at the beach...
I pulled my goggles on and prepared for the race ahead. I was against two of the current lifeguards, Whippet and Harrison, to help motivate me. I expected to do well so I kept my breathing calm. "Ready, Go!" I ran to the water and jumped in, I quickly got into a rhythm. Before I knew it I was back on the beach and running to grab a board. I knew Harrison was right behind me and Whippet close after him. I pulled the board behind me back into the water. This was going to be a case of learning as I go along, I've never used a rescue board before so I put my knees on the board and pulled hard with my arms. It seemed to work, so I continued until I got further out. I looked back and saw Harrison on his front paddling with either arm so I quickly went flat on the board and did the same. I turned around the final point and caught a wave back in, dumping the board I ran straight for the finish. Thirty seconds later Harrison came through and thirty seconds after that, Whippet. I looked at Hoppo, "did I do it?" I asked.
"Yeah, you were a machine, congratulations you're now officially a Bondi lifeguard!" All the lifeguards on the beach cheered and I got a few more hugs and congratulations. It wasn't too hard to get in, but I would still have to learn the ropes a bit with the rescue board. Jesse came up to me after most people had disappeared back to work, "Hoppo's put me in charge of showing you the ropes, where do you want to start?"
"Everywhere." I said with a grin, this might end up being a fun mission after all.

A/N: thank you so much to everyone reading this, I definitely didn't expect it to get this many reads this quickly, so I hope you're enjoying it and feel free to say what you want to happen or anything that I've gotten wrong as it really helps.