Chapter 23

Verity's POV
I walked into the tower and saw Maxi and Harrison sitting by the windows. I hesitated before going up and sitting down. "I thought you left for England? What are you doing here?" Harrison said. I looked up at him, "I left the organisation. All I have now is what I have with me." Jesse had come in and was sitting next to me. "So you don't have anywhere to stay?" He asked for what felt like the millionth time. "No, I have nothing why is that so hard for you to understand!" I raised my voice, frustrated by the constant questioning. I was surrounded by idiots.

Jesse looked at the others and something passed between them, a glance, a nod. "Do you want to stay with us for a bit?" He asked, slowly. My mouth actually dropped open. They wanted to help me to the point that they would let me stay with them. I couldn't believe it. "I guess ..." I said slowly. "Just until you get sorted and you can get a place of your own." I nodded, I felt my eyes well up. "Hey it's okay we'll get everything sorted out, you don't need to worry." Jesse gave me a hug and I burst into tears, not because of the situation I was in, that I could handle, but because they were helping me. "Thank you." I mumbled. "I just need a few weeks to buy a place of my own and then I'll be fine." I rubbed my eyes and reached for my bag. Pulling out my phone I logged into my bank account. As I expected, a new payment had been made for the Bondi mission. The balance was currently at £13,000,000. A mixture of my work, my parents work and also investments. I quickly logged out and turned my phone off. It wouldn't be hard to find a house nearby.

I walked with Maxi to their place. Stepping into the apartment I was reminded of the first time I came over and the worry I had about fitting in. "There's a spare room at the end of the hallway." Maxi said gesturing in the vague direction.

I opened the door and looked around the room. It had a double bed with blue covers and a wicker chair sat next to the white curtains covering the window. The room also had boxes and clothes in it, but I could sort that out later. I put my bag on the bed and pulled out the photo, placing it on the side table. I also took out my book and put it next to the photo, both were reminders of family.

I picked up some of the random clothes and boxes lying around the room and carried them out into the living room. I dumped them on the sofa and went back for more. Eventually the room was clear. "Maxi! Can you help me with this?" I yelled, I wasn't sure where he'd gone. "Yeah what is it?" He said walking in from one of the other doors. I gestured to the pile of stuff in front of me. "Ah, yeah ummm do we really need to sort through that?" He whined. I gave him a look that answered his question. "Okay lets start with the clothes."

We sorted through all of the clothes and put a wash on. We then went back for the boxes and started to look through them. I pulled out a wobbly hula dancer and held it in my hand, "Just why?" I asked, laughing. "Harrison's aunt gave it to him when she went to Hawaii, I don't think even he knows it's there." He said with a smile. I put it in the pile and continued looking through the box. I saw a wooden box at the bottom and carefully lifted it out. The carving on the outside was intricate and the wood itself a rich dark brown, it looked important. I lifted the lid and looked inside.