Chapter 13

Verity's POV
I spent the second half of my shift with Jesse in the tower. I felt more relaxed up there as I had a good vantage point to look out from. I made sure to take a good look at the surroundings as well as the water because I need to know the ins and outs of the beach. I spotted a few swimmers that were out of their depth and called it in on the radio, but there wasn't too much going on. I started talking to Jesse to pass the time. "So what did you do before you became a lifeguard?" I asked. "I had a rough start I was part of a group of guys that got in a bit of trouble down in Maroubra, but I got offered this job and I haven't really looked back." I envied his ability to leave part of his life behind. "What about you?" He asked, catching me off guard. "I went to boarding school back in England and then I moved over here with my parents when the school year finished." I continued to scan the water, praying that he would move on. "What was England like?" He asked. "It was nice, a bit rainy and cold though."
"Was it hard leaving friends behind?" I'd never thought about this, I'd never really had any friends to leave behind, there was only one person who had ever counted me as a friend.

*flashback*
I dove into the bus shelter and held tightly to Alejandra. My other hand held a pistol. Gunshots ripped through the air above us. I covered her body with mine. I could feel her shaking uncontrollably, I wanted to crumble, but it wasn't just me anymore. "On three we have to move you run next to me, keep your head down and don't stop, we're heading to the car park opposite, okay? On the roof a helicopter will take us to safety. Ready one two three." I grabbed her arm and we ran. The first step I felt bullets flying past our heads. Time slowed as I saw flashes from both sides, noises deafening my ears. I looked up and saw the glint of a rifle scope directly ahead. Alejandra was slightly in front of me so I reached to pull her back and behind me, but I was too late. The round hit her in the head. I could see the light fade rapidly out of her eyes. I had to leave her, there was nothing I could do. I sprinted to the car park and flung myself up the stairs. I was about to get into the helicopter when I took one last look back. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I felt the bullet move the air around me before excruciating pain blossomed in my shoulder, the fiery burn spreading rapidly. The last thing I remember is being pulled into the helicopter.

*End of Flashback*

"You all right there? Hey!" I felt someone shake my shoulder. "Hmmm, what?" I turned to see Jesse worry clear on his face. "You spaced out, are you okay?" He asked. "Yeah I'm good, What were we talking about?"
"If it was hard leaving friends when you came here."
"Yeah, I left one, she was pretty important..." I trailed off and looked down at my feet. It's was my fault that she was there, I messed up and that cost her her life.

Thankfully the rest of the day distracted me as I radioed in rescues and helped out swimmers with bluebottle stings and victims of flat rock. Soon it was the end of my shift and everyone was packing away. I could most definitely get used to this.

I walked out to meet the camera crew. "So how was your first day?"
"It was really great I've learnt so much already and I can't wait to come back again tomorrow."
"What's your opinion on working with the boys?"
I laughed. "It's interesting, we have some good conversations."
And that was it, my first day as a Bondi lifeguard was over.

The days passed quickly after that and I started to get into the routine of work, for Uni, lifeguarding and the mission. Lifeguarding took up the majority of my time, but I used it to improve my knowledge of the beach and to work out the areas where things could happen out of sight. I also slowly started to trust the people I worked with. They quickly gave me their trust, but I took a while to relax around them. There was only one exception to that, Jesse, he always looked at me like he knew what was going on and that he didn't believe me. But soon I'll have to start the second part of the mission, which could mean the end of everything I've worked for

A/N: I can't wait for the next chapter, some great stuff is going to happen!!