4. A few things

FP locked the door behind him when they came back home after they silently had spent the last hour driving back to the Riverdale. Alice took off her beige coat and put it on the hanger. Her eyes were red and swollen. FP went deeper into the house and saw his daughter sitting on the couch and reading a book. Jellybean turned her head and smiled at her father.

"JB I want you to officially meet Betty's mother, Alice Smith." She put her novel on the coffee table, stood up from the couch, and walked over to the blonde women standing in the hallway. Teenager noticed that she cried, but trying not to show it she smiled at her a little bit shyly.

"It's nice to finally meet you Ms. Smith." Alice smiled as she shook the girl's hand. "It's nice to meet you too." she responded and let Jellybean made her way upstairs. Alice knew she should talk to FP about Charles, Gladys, and their relationship. She has been already broken and decided to overcome her fear.

"FP, I think we need to clarify a few things between us." She started the conversation while looking at his slow movements towards her. They sat down on opposite sides of the couch. "Do you want to talk about Polly?" he asked her curiously when he saw her taking a deep breath.

"I want to apologize to you for not telling you about Charles. You should have known that he is alive." Her voice was trembling, but she decided to keep going with talking. FP was waiting for her to say everything she wanted, and his heart was beating faster and faster.

"FP, I don't know what happened between you and Gladys. When I came to you that day and asked you if you love me, I realized that we can't change our fate. We weren't meant to be together and I don't know if we will ever be together again." He can't believe what she has just announced to him.

"Gladys was producing drugs in my trailer and selling them to Hiram" FP made a mistake choosing Gladys and letting Alice go. He has regretted it every single day since she went out of his office with tears in her eyes. Gladys wasn't worth this decision. He wanted to do what was best for her children.

"Alice, I chose her that day because of my kids. She will always be the mother of my children." His words hurt her so much, that her eyes were full of tears again. She wanted to forget everything about their talk in his office.

"But I am the mother of your child too!" She cried in pain letting the tears stream down her cheeks. FP was looking at her with disbelief. How could she expostulate that he didn't mention Charles that day?

"I thought our son was dead. Maybe if you told me he is alive back then, it would have been different." He raised his voice and tried to calm down before he started to talk again. "We both fucked up Alice, but Gladys means nothing to me. I swear to God that you are the one I want in my life." She shook her head sobbing quietly.

"I don't want to hear this unnecessary bullshit again. I think we should forget about us." Her voice was confident and adamant. He nodded and slowly stood up from the couch. Fury was raising in him and suddenly he punched a vase that crashed on the floor. Alice jumped when she heard the crackle of breaking porcelain. The small pieces of blue china were all over the wooden floor in the living room.

"What the fuck are you talking about Alice?!" His voice was full of pain and nervousness. "If you want to forget, that is your choice, but I won't forget all the days and nights we spent together. I won't forget that day you knocked on my door to apologize to me. I won't forget when you were wearing only my serpent jacket and laughing as you have never done it before." he didn't want to forget any of those moments.

"Then you should also remember how you hurt me when I came to Pop's to invite you to the musical. Or when you and Gladys suddenly showed up here to after we had promised each other, no more secrets, no more lies... " He shook his head in disbelief when he caught what she has just said.

"What do you want me to do Alice? Just tell me what the fuck do you want? You were the one who had secrets and didn't tell me about my son until you found out he was "dead"!" he scoffed, but it was too much for her. She ran upstairs and grasped a few things from the bathroom and some clothes starting to pack herself. FP followed her and placed his palms on her shoulders but she immediately released her grip.

"Look, I'm sorry. Just please calm down a little bit." His voice was warm and soft again, but she decided not to argue with him. She grabbed her things and went downstairs again. She started to put a coat on her when he clutched her hand once again.

"FP, I'm not the one who should calm down. I'm going to see my grandkids and I won't come back home today. Don't wait for me, don't look after me, don't call me or I won't show up to this devilish house ever again." She warned him and went out as fast as she could.

Alice was walking down the main street and thinking about all she had been through that day. In the morning she had a fight with her daughter, then she had an argument with FP. Everyone and everything was against her.

She knocked on the door and Cheryl opened them with Juniper on her arms. "Look who is here little bean!" Cheryl smiled widely at Alice and let her inside the house. Alice took off her coat and placed all of her things on the red chair which was standing next to the front door.

"Come here baby." She took Juniper from Cheryl and saw Toni, who went downstairs with Dagwood. Alice missed them both so much. They were reminding her Polly and Betty when they were little. She smiled as the baby giggled at her. All of them went into the living room to play with the twins and talk about the nightmare they went through during the time they spent on the Farm.

After two hours, Alice put babies down to their cribs. They were peacefully sleeping like little angels. She carefully closed the door behind her. She didn't want to wake them up. Her phone was full of messages from FP, but she couldn't read them. She needed to clear her head.

"Cheryl, Toni, can I stay here for a while? I really want to spend some time with my grandchildren." Alice asked shyly. She was tired and didn't want to come back on Elm Street. Both Cheryl and Toni had noticed something was wrong with her, but they only smiled at each other and looked at Alice.

"I know something is bothering you, but you don't need to talk about it if you don't want us to know what's going on. You can stay here as long as you want auntie" Cheryl responded and grabbed Alice's hand to lead her to the guest room. Meanwhile Toni texted Betty letting her know, that her mother is going to stay at the Thistle House for a while.

"Everything was so messed up, but she will get through it, right?" Alice whispered to herself while closing her eyes to get some sleep after this horrible day.