ii. rolling stone

chapter ii rolling stone

***

THAT MORNING, WHEN AVERY'S EYES BLINKED OPEN, SHE FELT HERSELF IN A CALM STATE OF OBLIVION REGARDING HER PRESENT SURROUNDINGS.

     With her head nestled within the royal blue covers, Avery recognises her sleep took place in the spacious quarters of a double bed - not the same four-poster bed she'd spent the previous six years sleeping in. Peeking her head up a bit with a slight strain to the neck, she saw a desk — far larger and more luxurious than any writing area in Ravenclaw Tower — then a wardrobe — which, in all her years at Hogwarts, she'd never had the pleasure of being accommodated by a wardrobe — and finally, it was the flat loveseat at the window, padded with dreamy blue cushions, that helped her distinguish where exactly she was; not the Ravenclaw dormitories, like her initial unaware thoughts would lead her to believe — but rather, the Head Girl dormitory. Because after all, like Avery hadn't needed to hear the words be iterated yet again, she was Head Girl.

     She swung her legs over the edge of the double bed, and walked up to the loveseat, gazing out at the daylight cascading over the grounds of Hogwarts. Avery had to stifle a groan, reaching a hand behind to her back as she felt an upwards pain shoot through her spine. Must have slept funny. Though, as much as she'd wanted to blame this back pain in the new bed, (out of sheer spite of not wanting to be Head Girl) Avery couldn't deny that that would be worthless, because grudgingly, she knew that bed had been comfy.

     The morning light had certainly done its work's worth for Hogwarts because the grounds looked beautiful. From the window, the light seeped through with an opaline tint, refracting with a pearly white shine through the glass, but in the grounds the light covered the fresh grass in a golden blanket, dotted with spontaneous flowers, the trees swaying happily under the limpid breeze, the mountains being visible in the distance from the lack of clouds present. She could see the Great Lake, twinkling remarkably in the sunlight. The Whomping Willow was also seen from Avery's window, at a halt and seemingly asleep. For it being the beginning of September, the harsh weather hadn't yet hit the castle of Hogwarts and instead provided it with the clearest of blue skies, bringing with it a exuberant atmosphere of vicarious gleefulness.

     Avery notices a door on the opposite side of the window seat, realising it was probably the bathroom. I have my own bathroom, she thinks wondrously to herself. And, seeing herself in the full length mirror that was propped against the wall near her, she saw herself clad in nothing but cotton pyjama shorts and an oversized t-shirt spilling past her thighs, and most notably her deranged morning hair, which was spilling out of all ends of the topknot she'd tied the previous night, and Avery realised it was probably best for her to freshen up in preparation for the day ahead. She bent down to her unemptied trunk and made a self-plea to unpack her clothes into the provided wardrobe later on, just to make use of it. Picking up her toothbrush and toothpaste, Avery was just about to head to the bathroom when she'd heard a knock on her door.