iii. luck be a lady

chapter iii luck be a lady

***

AVERY IS QUICK TO GET USED TO MORNINGS (and nighttime's, and daytimes, and everything in between) within the first week of living alongside Charlie Weasley. First off, she hadn't realised just how exhausting her rounds of the castle were, until she had to wake up one Saturday unable to get out of bed at 11am — after finishing rounds at 2am. It was difficult. Even after a whole nine hours of sleep.

     So, to overcome this, she always ensures to make herself a pre-breakfast coffee with the appliances provided. Just to fuel her enough to get her backside ready for breakfast, so that she doesn't end up dozing off in the shower and slipping and cracking her skull open — you know, the sore things. And purely out of niceties, she also makes her roommate a coffee. Because, it's polite, yeah? If he can be polite, so can she. It doesn't mean they're besties or even friends. (She's still kinda suspicious about him.) Usually Avery just placed the coffee, without milk or sugar because she didn't know what he liked, on the kitchen counter for him to collect.

(She had, however, found out that he liked his coffee with loads of milk and four sugars, after he'd been found waiting in the common room one of the mornings Avery slept in extra late. So she makes them like that now.)

Charlie smiled the first time he saw a mug of coffee lying in the kitchen for him, a small note attached saying I made you a coffee, but didn't know how much milk or sugar you'd like. He thought perhaps Avery was warming up to him, because she did seem quite blunt most times with him. But he still isn't sure, because they don't talk much.

They both have a habit of walking together to breakfast and dinner, but there isn't a lot of talking in between. Charlie always seems to be the one to pick her up from Ravenclaw common room at around 7.30pm exactly after his own evening in the Gryffindor abode, and they walk back to their common room together. Even in their patrols, they don't talk much. Probably just small talk initiated by Charlie.  Between Avery and Charlie, there was a lot of walking happening, but not much talking.

Avery is thankful McGonagall has stopped filling her in on Head Girl customs and standards. Because sure, she was never a Prefect, but it didn't mean she was brainless. Eventually, she could figure out the makings of a Head Girl herself. And McGonagall didn't exactly have the most interesting voice to listen to. Still, she'd prefer hearing McGonagall talk about that than hear Snape drone on and on and on about potions she'd probably never use or even need in life. McGonagall is still nice to her. Snape, who didn't really care about Avery's presence before, seems to hate her with a passion now because oh look a Gryffindor and Ravenclaw are the Head Boy and Girl not a Slytherin! Snape still hates Charlie much more, though, since the old house rivalry is strong.