iv. strangers in the night

chapter iv strangers in the night

***

CHARLIE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT AVERY'S ISSUE IS.

At first, he just thought she'd perhaps needed a bit of space. Being Head Girl, after all, wasn't a task she'd willingly taken, but rather just because it was something she couldn't turn down. Could you imagine what people would say of her if she'd refused the position of Head Girl? He understands. Avery's been put into a situation she wasn't too enthralled by. She needed her space.

So he gives her space. He doesn't try to be overly enthusiastic, because then it could just scare her off completely. And Charlie doesn't want that. He wants them both to be on some sort of even footing, to be mutuals, accomplices, friends. Because then it just makes everything else easier. They're Head Boy and Head Girl — they have to work together. Charlie's just glad that they can work well together, and that they actually get along.

But he wants something more? Something more exciting than just, hi, bye, you ready to go to breakfast? That bores him. He wants something more proactive. A fun friendship! If they were going to be roommates for the upcoming year, he wanted to enjoy it. You can't blame the guy for not wanting to be bored.

Anyways, Charlie's worried when Avery didn't show up the previous night after he'd gone to pick her up at Ravenclaw Tower. He went there, at approximately 7.27pm, waited for a solid fifteen minutes, then an extra five, then a few more. Charlie eventually realised that she wasn't going to come out of that portrait hole of a majestic eagle anytime soon. He thought she'd maybe had some extra business to attend to, like talking to some people in her house. She was Head Girl after all, and one thing Charlie noticed was that though she took up the role grudgingly, she still committed to her tasks with best effort. But he peeked through the open door leading to her bedroom, and saw she wasn't there. Her shoes weren't even at the door, so she hadn't come in at all last night.

Charlie frowns. This was the first morning that one of them hadn't came in, so he's worried about what could have happened to Avery. Did she get abducted? Kidnapped? But then, he knew she could take care of herself. She was one of the top students in Defence. It didn't stop him getting uneasy, though. Two weeks in and he'd already lost the Head Girl?

The door to the portrait swings open. Charlie, from his seat on the comfy sofa, springs to his feet, leaving an indentation of his behind in the maroon material. He's relieved to see that Avery entered, dropping her bag by the coat rack next to the door and slipping her feet out of her shoes.

At least she's not been abducted, Charlie thought.

"Morning," Avery greets Charlie, giving him a brief nod of acknowledgement.