ix. fall to a romantic death

chapter ix fall to a romantic death

***

HOGSMEADE WAS THE ULTIMATE UNIQUE SELLING POINT to any student of Hogwarts after weeks of constant beginning-of-term studying. What more could persuade them to stay on to study in the ancient castle than being able to spend the weekends happily blustering  through the leisurely stores that awaited them a brisk walk away? (Okay, perhaps the fact that they would likely become jobless if they didn't stay on and study well enough — but you get the gist. Hogsmeade is fun.)

     In the surrounding stores people emerged from dedicated window displays, prodding dangerous-to-dignity joke shop items in the faces of their friends, or chewing their way through their newly replenished sweet stash in the midst of brewing pubs, erratic locomotor chuffs and hefty gusts of gathering wind throughout the recreational village.

Likewise, it was the start of October, and the Halloween Ball, being arranged courteously by the Head Boy and Head Girl, alongside other prefects, was fast approaching. Okay, maybe not. They still had an entire month to sort everything out, and for all the fourth years and above to gather themselves and garner dates too, but time often proves itself to pass unfathomably fast in times of dire need. And to counteract her time demons, Avery and her friends agreed to go shopping for dresses earlier rather than later, when every guy and girl yearning for a proper fit would be bustling in and out of the store and making it impossible to find a space to stand tranquilly without impeding one someone else's personal space. It was only the smart thing to do.

Avery found herself pretty much in the know with Charlie Weasley by now. They were... friends. She knew she no longer had to hide herself in a shell around him, and she knew it was okay that they got along like they did. She's stopped thinking that in this case, the case of being Head Girl, that the change was not a bad thing — seeing the results she saw only proved that this was a good change in her life. And part of her thinks that maybe it's a step to being able to welcome more changes — more people. The good thing was, she didn't think it was so bad anymore. Maybe there is a good side to some changes. Avery sees that now.

(But she was still sceptical. Obviously. Some changes perhaps aren't good. This can be explained at a later stage, though.)

The thought remains in Avery's head, and it was something that she didn't pay much heed to when she probably should have — and it was the fact that in a year's time, she would be studying the things she loves in Norway. Norway. Sure, still in Europe — but she's never been this far away from her family. From her friends, too. And of course there'll be new people there. She'd be damned if there wasn't. That was part of the process, though — meeting all these new people. And it was good that now Avery had begun realising that things weren't going to be the same in Norway — but that didn't mean they weren't going to be good. It was in Avery's own hands however she would like to make the most of her time abroad. If she wanted to sulk and hide in a dorm room those entire five years, she could do that. Or, she could get out of her comfort zone and meet new people. Change. Because, as she's discovered, change isn't the worst thing in the world.