viii. birdies and scandinavians

chapter viii a scandinavian desire

***

TO PUT IT STRAIGHT, DOMINIQUE HAWTHORNE WAS a vivacious hearth of charm. Much like Juliet — who was much more of a vixen — Dominique was easily one of the most alluring and captivating personas to walk the halls of Hogwarts. Not only was she physically enticing, with her sleek ginger ringlets, effortlessly in ensemble arrangements and completely void of getting tangled within each other ( seriously — its an absolute mystery as to how Dominique is able to keep her curls from tangling within themselves! ) and with lips infallibly red, the suaveness that glimmers within her every time she walks, smiles or laughs. But also, she had a captivating personality, and history, and ambitions that should never go unseen.

But alas, in many cases, they do. Half of the guys that approach her are only interested in dating, snogging, or sex, when it comes to Dominique (reiterating Juliet's words — men are horny little batshits!), and she was sick of it. Reason being, she was so much more interesting than the number of her lipstick colour or the brand of bag she owned — she wanted so much more than just somatic attraction. She wanted people to see her on the inside, too! Dominique wanted to become a magical historian, to be able to travel the world, meet new people and hopefully settle down.

(She has this part sorted out, though: on an eventual trip into Sweden to Malmö for one of her future adventures, she'll meet a Swede, fall in love, and settle down and have five children. Two boys, three girls, one of whom would be named after her late grandmother Genevieve. Can you blame her for wanting her children in on the Scandinavian genes, though? Those bone structures! Her children were bound to carry good genetics, no matter what.)

     But guys don't really seem to understand that. They only see what's unfurled in front of their eyes. They don't see the explorer, or the learner, or the one who's yearning for true love that isn't superficial or dawns solely at the expanse of her appearance. She wanted more.

     (One could also admit that when describing Dominique, that they'd make good mention of her smart mouth. Because, again, quoting Juliet, men are batshits who also often don't take no for an answer.)

     When it comes to Dominique, there's nothing more important to her than the welfare of her friends and family. She always considers herself lucky in comparison to her best friend Avery in the sense that she grew up with a complete family — her parents were together, she was the youngest of three siblings... she knew she was fortunate, and she would do nothing more than to keep things together like it should be. As for her friends, though they exhilarate her at times (okay, all the time), she treasures them the most and wouldn't ask for anyone else to spend her time with. She spends so much time with them, they've become her second family in this whirlwind of a school she's been nurtured in.