Chapter Eight

Edward's P.O.V

Tomorrow is the day where we could all die, everyone else seemed prepared, I wasn't. I had Meadow Rose cuddled up to my chest with her new teddy bear. It was obvious that Bella had a plan for Renesmee and Jacob to survive, I heard their conversation in the tent. I didn't have a plan for Meadow and it scared me at first. How was I going to get my princess away from danger if the situation turned ugly?

Then Carmen and Eleazar decided that if a fight were to break out that they would take Meadow for me. I was eternally grateful for their offer. If I and the rest of the family were to die tomorrow I just pray to God that Meadow remembers us when she's older. Nothing pains me more than dying knowing my little girl won't even remember what we were like, or who we were to her.

Venom clouded my eyes as I kissed the sleeping baby's forehead. I watched as our witnesses, our friends, all enjoyed each other's company around the bonfire. It seems as though Benjamin and Jacob are becoming best friends. Kate and Garrett are certainly warming up to each. Watching all this happiness made me smile. I looked at the man standing beside me, my mentor, my friend, my father.

"Carlisle I never thanked you." He looked at me confused and I don't blame him. For years I've been hating myself, hating what he made me when I should have been grateful. Carlisle could have left me to die like most doctors back then would have, but he didn't. He saved my life and I've hated the one he gave me ever since, that ends now. "For what?" "For this extraordinary life." I told him while I hugged Meadow closer to me.

She gripped her teddy bear tighter in her sleep and then gripped onto me tighter. I didn't know what would happen tomorrow, I didn't know if the Volturi would kill Meadow or not. They might be monsters but I hope, I sincerely hope that they wouldn't kill a baby.

~~~The Next Day~~~

We all walked to the field where the Volturi would meet us. We were all separated into groups with Bella, Renesmee, Meadow, and myself in the middle. The baby girl was wide awake but she wasn't her usual happy self. It was like she could feel the tension in the air around us as she clutched her teddy bear tighter to herself. I kissed her forehead in an attempt to calm her but she only whimpered and leaned into me.

And then, they came. The Volturi walked in a straight line together in perfect unison with each other. The sight of them made me grip Meadow closer to myself. She whimpered again and hid her face in my chest, they were scaring her. Aro removed his hood first and the rest followed in pursuit. He realized that they were outnumbered and it made him nervous, I smirked at the thought.

Carlisle then stepped for in the clearing. And so it begins. "Aro let us discuss this as we use to, in a civilized manner." Aro scoffed at the sentence. "Fair words Carlisle, but out of place given the army you've built against me." "I give you my word that was not my intention, no law has been broken here." Carlisle protested with desperation, it was obvious Aro wasn't willing to listen to reason.

"We see the child, do not treat us as fools!" Caius sneered at Carlisle in anger. Thank God none of them have noticed Meadow yet. "She's not immortal, these witnesses can attest to that, see the flush of human blood in her cheeks." "Artifice!" Caius made it very obvious that he was beginning to lose his patience. "I will collect every asset of the truth from someone more central to the story," Aro removed his eyes from Carlisle and locked eyes with me.

"Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate I assume you are involved." I turned to Renesmee who had obvious worry in her eyes. Shifting Meadow to one arm I used my free hand to stroking her hair gently to calm her. Bella and I merely shared a glance before I walked towards Aro. I watched as Aro looked curiously at the baby in my arms, it made me more nervous. Reaching his side I was surprised when Aro didn't immediately take my hand in his.