6

Vic’s POV

“Kellin!” I shouted down the empty street and looked both ways. There was no sign of him anywhere. I can’t believe I let him out of my sight. If anything bad happens to him I’ll never forgive myself.

I look around frantically, hoping that I’d magically get pointed in the right direction but there was nothing telling me which way he went. I knew I couldn’t waste any time so I turned left and started running along the street in search of him.

“Kellin!” I shouted again but I wasn’t expecting an answer. With the state that Kellin was in, I doubted he’d want to answer me. He’d probably be too scared. Fuck, he was in such a messed up state so who knows what kind of damage he could cause himself. How could I let this happen to him?

I stopped running so I could think properly. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I tried putting myself in Kellin’s head so I’d know where he’d most likely go. He’s scared and afraid that his dead father is going to come after us. I thought back to the last time his father came after me and remembered how Kellin’s instinct was to go straight to him to stop him. Maybe that was what Kellin was thinking in that drugged up mind of his. Maybe he thinks that he has to go to him and stop him somehow. If that’s what he’s thinking then there was only one place that I thought he could go to; his father’s grave.

I was already running in the right direction so I just kept going, hoping to God that I was right about where he’s going. I wanted to get to him before he got to the cemetery so I could stop him from doing anything to hurt himself, but I didn’t see any sign of him. I knew that Kellin could be a fast runner when he wanted to be, so mixed in with the drugs he’d probably be moving pretty quickly.

As I reached the gates of the cemetery I could hear yelling and screaming that I knew belonged to Kellin. I ran in the direction of where I had seen him at his father’s grave only days earlier. It was dark, but the moon was giving me enough light to see, but mostly though I followed his voice. I wanted to call out to him but was afraid he’d run away again. As I got closer to his father’s grave, I could see him attacking the tombstone and shouting something incoherent. He was punching and kicking at the tombstone so if I didn’t stop him soon then he’d probably hurt himself.

“You can’t kill me! You can’t kill me now!” Kellin shouted.

“Kellin,” I spoke softly when I was close enough. He spun around, his eyes wide in fear.

“You can’t be here! He’ll kill you!” he shouted at me.

“Kellin, you listen to me! Your dad’s dead. You are standing at his grave right now. He is gone and he’s not coming back,” I told him clearly and slowly. I could tell by the look in his eyes that he didn’t believe a word of it.

“No, he’s not. I’ll prove it,” he said rapidly and fell to the ground. He started clawing at the grass and dirt, attempting to dig his way down.

“Kellin, stop it,” I order and grab onto his forearms to pull him back. He struggled straight away, lashing out in every direction and screaming.

“Let me go!” he shrieked. He had gone crazy and was getting difficult to contain. We both fell to the ground and I struggled to get on top of him and pin his flailing arms down to the ground. I was about to tell him to calm down when something caught my eye. I let go of one arm and reached over quickly to the empty pill bottle sitting on the ground. I dropped it and held Kellin’s wrist again when he tried hitting me.

“The pills, did you take them?” I asked. He nodded quickly.

“How many? All of them?” I asked.